ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 01-31-2015, 03:10 PM
MS Whisperer

Hi all,

Veronica, don't worry about spelling my name wrong. It happens all the time!

Marina, great to get your news and good for you (and Larry) to sign up for the ride. I'll be joining you in my dreams.

I'm working with a new physio and it's going well. We're concentrating on functional strengthening such as sit to stand, standing balance, weight shifting and so far so good. I have to say, I find it exhausting. After a session, I organize my work and sit at my desk with a drink and a snack. Last week, it took a full 5-6 hours before I perked up.

Swimming is amazing. Now up to 6 times a week and starting to think about next summer's swims.

Dave, last weekend my ski was for you. I need help getting them on, but went a little further, didn't fall-caught myself in time (my friend said "good reflexes!), felt the sliding motion was a little smoother. I was able to slide them rather than trying to pick them up like snowshoes.

Larry, I like your alternating routine. Regarding walking, what about a chill down before heading out. I put on my ice vest 30 minutes before leaving work.

Take care all,

Teena Marie
Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
MS Yoda

Hey All,

Marina, I'm all signed up for the MS 150. I checked off the first day century option, like always, but only because I don't have to really commit until the 60 mile mark at the century turn-off. Our MS 150 is convenient that way. Looks like both of our rides are in June.

TM, 6 times a week on the swimming, WOW, sounds like you're way ahead of schedule, nice job. Good point about the pre-cooling, not sure I could keep up with yours but seems like the least I could do is turn off the heater in the car when I'm on my way to the park for a walk, maybe even open a window. I find the better rested I am, the better I can walk, up to about 2 miles. It seems to have a lot to do with fatigue levels, certainly neural fatigue and probably muscular too. It occurs to me that a bright young physiologist could make a career out of studying the different types and effects of fatigue.

Hey V, got 6 more or less regular side planks on my weak side once this week, a new record! Had to brace against the wall but didn't bring the top leg over right away.

I hope we have turned the corner on the bitter cold here, I do sooo much better with my cycling schedule when I can get outside. Only got 2 hours of cycling in this week, one day of weight training, 2 days of core work, yoga for stretching twice and one day of heavy duty snow shoveling. Although I didn't even get close to my goal of 6 hours on a bike by end of January, it was still a big week on the exercise front, so I'm not terribly disappointed. Next goal is 8 hours of cycling by end of February.

Good luck all,

Larry

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-02-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:15 PM
MS Whisperer

Larry, I am envious of your side plank accomplishments.....It is amazing to me that at times I have to do it on the stronger side first to remember how I have to even position my body as it just feels so foreign. I find that I can do a modified side plank and lift my top arm up and feel it in the torso, but the full side plank I don't even feel it yet where I should....a work in progress for sure!

Spinning on the trike on the trainer is getting into a routine ( finally), and I actually enjoy it...Been listening to NPR's podcast of Serial during my spins, and only allowing myself to listen to this when on the trike....works well for getting a good 45 minutes in...just running out of episodes soon, so I've gotta find something else that is timed.....I am motivated and pretty self disciplined, but having an external time keeper has helped me not wimp out ....

These past two weeks have found me working a lot from home for long stretches at a time....I have been inundated with reports and computer work, and with the snow, cold, the fact that I can remote access from home, I've chosen to do this. I was having an issue with sitting for such periods of time and would just have an overwhelming desire to MOVE when I would get up to take breaks. I knew that using the treadmill or the trainer to spin would break my needed concentration. So I got out my HULA HOOP! Boy, does this do the trick...It has allowed me to take a good MOVING break, work a little on core and balance, gets my heart rate up, and shakes the sedentary blahs out of me....and reminds me to find the fun in the moment!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:45 PM
MS Yoda

I should post this in the walking thread but I'm so excited I've just got to do it now!

FINALLY, I got a personal trainer. I've been looking for months but couldn't find one who looked like they could deal with a declining 60 something who's had MS for 20+ years but wants to be as active as he can be for as long as possible. I don't blame them really, who wants to take on someone like that when there are so many young hard bodies around who are capable of so much more?

But I found one. She's about my age, is a physical therapist as well as a personal trainer, has experience with PWMS and in fact prefers to work with persons with disabilities. I can't wait to start! Walking/hiking is going to be my focus even at the expense of cycling. She has already mentioned interval training for walking, we're on the same wave length. Perfect!

It's a new adventure and I can't wait!

Larry
Old 02-05-2015, 11:13 PM
MS Whisperer

This is the most fantastic news, Larry! I just started working with a new physio who has good experience with MS. I'm cautiously optimistic. It's been an incredible challenge to find the right person. Keep us posted.

Veronica, I love the hoola hoop. What a great idea. I'm sure my neighbours would love it! Just something else to add to the mix living beside me and all my antics.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

I do have to say that Veronica's suggestion of a ride w/o a time limit would totally work. As Steven Wright once said, everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time!

Working on balance and glute exercises mixed in with cardio/strength/stretching. Trying to be patient and holding my stretches longer per Herb's recommendations. Tricky when time is tight!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 PM
MS Whisperer

Larry, I also am thrilled to hear this news! Can't wait to hear the details once you get started with her! WooHoo!
Old 02-13-2015, 05:47 PM
MS Yoda

Default The New PT Squared

Saw my new physical therapist come personal trainer twice this week. The first time I went right after doing some hill intervals with the hot blond yoga chick - where, in the future, I will be demanding between a one and five second handicap for every year of difference in our age. Fortunately there was still quite a lot of endorphin residual running around my body and I didn't do too badly with the five or six Theraband exercises around the ankles the PT squared had me do. I was a little less successful with the balance ball exercises for the glutes, quads, hams stomach and back and, when it came to stretching everything out at the end, one of my hip flexor muscles totally let go and I ended up in an indecorous heap on the floor. NO other pt or neuro has ever seen me like that.

The second time was after a short easy ride after which, for whatever reason, I was feeling particularly fatigued. She had me doing floor exercises primarily for the low back and hip flexors where she found some small muscles I'm sure I haven't used at all in the last 10 years. At one point she commented that I was particularly skilled at compensating for those weak muscles and I really needed to stop doing that so much. At any rate, after about 10 floor exercises, several of them yoga posses that I have never been very successful at, we called it quits. We decided that the next two visits should be scheduled for days I don't ride.

One thing for sure, no neurologist or physical therapist I have seen in my 17 years post Dx has ever explored my particular weaknesses like this woman did. If I can ever get any of the weak muscles she found working again, there may be hope of, if not walking well, at least walking better than I do now. This could turn out to be one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

On the exercise front, I rode 3 times last week for about 60 miles, did weight training once, core exercises once, yoga twice and pt twice, it was all quite enough for one week. If I can get someone to go with me I might try a little extended climbing on the bike tomorrow.

Hang in there,
Larry
Old 02-14-2015, 11:52 AM
MS Whisperer

Well, Larry ...Such great news! Sure sounds like you found yourself a "Keeper" in your new PT......isn't it such a great feeling when there is hope to be able to move a muscle or two that has been asleep at the wheel for too long? Exciting, and I'm happy for you... You and your "Girls" are rockin' it....

This is Part One of my visit with Herb yesterday. We attacked my difficulties with the side plank. He was initially (for less than a minute!) baffled by the lack of connection between my lower and upper body on the right....went off and came back with some padding that was several inches high, and shoved it in the area between the mat and my right bottom rib cage and upper hip. He said, "Try it now" and I could tell even before attempting it, that this would work.....I could get into full side plank WITHOUT having to have my foot against anything. Shocking to me, but so exhilarating. I did this several more times to get the muscle memory of how I need to do this, and my only challenge now is finding the proper materials to duplicate this at home. Needs to be sturdy enough to not just collapse, but not too rigid/high. I'm working on getting the right prop....SO happy.... By just finding a way to get the connection activated, I can now finally work these muscles.... I have other good things to report, but have to dash right now for the weekend. Have a good one everyone!
Old 02-14-2015, 02:46 PM
MS Whisperer

Hi all,

Such good news on the physio front. I am also getting good results with my new physio, now twice a week. Standing balance with weight shift, sitting balance on a wobbly surface hitting balloons or resisting against a theraband side to side or backwards,hand exercises,sit to stand, walking with no sticks. I'm exhausted after.
Larry, you are right. I'm sure a big ride before your sessions is a bit much. I have a brief swim to get limbered up before and save the big swims for the other days.
Veronica, you're so right. So joyful having muscles waking up.

Take care all,

Teena Marie