ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
MS Whisperer

Good luck Teresa, I hope the weather holds out for you
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
MS Yoda

Registration for the Colorado MS 150 is open. It appears to be the same gorgeous route as last year. Perfect!

Last year some 40-something young stud cajoled my buddy into doing the second day century. Iíd heard rumors of some really nasty hills on that course so I declined but my buddy took up the challenge. Nasty hills there were, like a 19%er and a couple of 12%ers. Well, the young stud ran off and left my buddy early on. Apparently he hammered up that 19% grade and the next 12% hill. But at the last 12%er, my buddy who had ridden the big hills more reasonably, caught up to him and rode past while the young guy was walking his bike. They didnít meet back up until the lunch stop. The young guy was totally fried, he had completely wasted himself on that 19% grade, but he was young and fit and he did manage to get to the finish although not comfortably. My buddy on the other hand, found a group of struggling team members and pulled the last 35 miles for them. Iím thinking Iíll try the century route this year. I might walk the 19% hill but I think I can get up the 12%ers and I think Iíll get to the finish reasonably comfortably, thatís my goal anyway.

Iím also thinking of doing another 150 this year, maybe New Mexico, it looks like a neat ride.

On the training front, last weeks effort was abysmal, we wonít even go there, weíll just try to crank it up next week.

Good luck Teresa, Iíve been watching the weather forcast, looks like it could get a bit damp. Iíll be pulling for you tomorrow.

AMF
Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Thanks guys,
I'm about to head up to Redding. I still have a lingering cough, so I am not sure how I'll run tomorrow. We'll see.

AMF--I've seen the same thing in marathoning. It's called proper pacing. I've seen many jump out too quickly only to be reeled in by me in the later miles. It's called patience.

"Tortoise and the Hare", baby..."Tortoise and the Hare".
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Well, it wasn't my best, nor my worst. I went out way too fast and slowed considerably. I finished with a 5:20. I am a little bummed, but any day I run is a good day.

The weather was great.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
MS Whisperer

Wooohooo for finishing, that is fantastic Teresa
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
MS Yoda

Teresa,

Congratulations, etch another marathon in the belt, completing 8 marathons is awesome! Got anything else in the works this year? Well done Teresa, really, really well done!

AMF
Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Did my first post marathon run tonight. 4.5 miles around the neighborhood.

My next goal is the Napa Valley Marathon on March 6th.

Great training, all!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
MS Yoda

Default 1/21/2011

Getting closer, got 5 hours this week, 1 hour short of schedule. Seems to have a lot to do with getting a routine down, hopefully I’ll make 6.5 next week. The indoor bike’s not my favorite either Marina.

Speaking of making goals, my favorite Sports Medicine Journal is out with their version of how to make your goals during these cold, dark winter days. Be sure to check out the column on the health benefits of chocolate too! I confess, I frequently have a chocolate milk for my post ride recovery drink. Come to think of it, we’ve been known to ride 30 or 40 miles just to get a chocolate shake, then 30 or 40 miles back!
http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ONTENTID=15550

Jenn, look forward to hearing how your training goes. Sue, “never been in a gym before”??? That should offer a refreshing perspective! Are you getting any snow boarding in? Jenn, glad you're back, hope things are looking up.

Teresa, my SIL did the PF Chang marathon in Phoenix last Sun. He missed qualifying for Boston by less than 10 minutes. That was almost an hour better than he did last year when he went out way too fast, way too early. 30,000 runners including the Ĺ, took longer to get out of the parking lot and home than to do the race!!!!!!!

AMF

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 01-21-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Did my first long run again today...10 miles...felt great!

AMF--Qualifying for Boston is my DREAM...Right now I'm focusing on small chunks of time.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM
MS Whisperer

I finally went to the complex gym to check out our stationary bike options. They had recumbent bikes and these Schwinn Air Dyne things, upright stationary bike, with a big airwheel and moving arms (This thing, I looked it up because I'd not seen anything like it before..http://www.schwinnfitness.com/schwin...rcise+Bike.jsp)

I did 5 miles in about 25 minutes and it felt a lot like biking, except for the arm movements of course. A big bonus was the wheel in the front was blowing nice air right in my face, and that was just what I needed.

I wonder if I should be using this thing or the recumbent bike?