ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 PM
MS Yoda

Default Training Log 1/26/12

The unseasonably gorgeous weather continues here interspersed with only an occasional dusting of snow. Hit the weight room exceptionally hard on Sun. As expected, was very sore on Monday. Thought I could ride it off by doing a couple of hours outside but couldn't get my heart rate up and only managed 25 miles in 1:45, still, definitely did feel better until later that evening anyway. No choice except to do nothing on Tuesday. Went out Wed. for an easy hour or so but the winds were up so ended with 20 mi. in 1:30 at a higher intensity than intended. Temps should approach 60 this afternoon so will have to get back out there, then finish the week off with another easy hour or two Friday and/or Saturday.

Iíll end the week with at least 6 hours. Next week is a rest week and I WILL take all 7 days with only 3 or 4 hours of very easy spinning and some light weight work. It could be a mistake to end the training period this exhausted this early in the season. I guess Iíll find out when I start the next one in February. My goal is to begin the serious climbing in early March.

Any recommendations for a good athletic endurance training diet book out there?

Looking forward to a pause,
Larry
Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 PM
MS Whisperer

So - I am working on the realization that my bike might not be a good fit for me. I have been thinking it was just me and my MS weirdness/lack of conidence, but I think my bike may be too large for me.

I was looking at this one - http://spokesetc.com/product/12speci...t-122923-1.htm but I dont know if a new bike is right for me or if its just me being freaked out by biking and needing to just deal with my bike. I am the kind of person that keeps things for awhile so I am really not sure what to do. Is a women's fit bike all that important?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM
MS Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinadca View Post
So - I am working on the realization that my bike might not be a good fit for me. I have been thinking it was just me and my MS weirdness/lack of conidence, but I think my bike may be too large for me.

I was looking at this one - http://spokesetc.com/product/12speci...t-122923-1.htm but I dont know if a new bike is right for me or if its just me being freaked out by biking and needing to just deal with my bike. I am the kind of person that keeps things for awhile so I am really not sure what to do. Is a women's fit bike all that important?
Marina,
I did just spent six months going through the whole Bike Fit/New Bike experience, so for whatever itís worth, hereís my assessment. I tried writing this up before but it got way too long so believe it or not, this is an abbreviated version.

I did a 3D medical bike fit evaluation using my old bike. The bike fit part was worth it, the 3D medical part, not so much. Anyway, I came away in a more comfortable relaxed position. The maximum difference in any measurement was 2.5 centimeters, quite a bit really, but most measurement changes were within a centimeter. Cumulatively the changes did make a noticeable difference though. I walked out with a piece of paper citing specific measurements for seat height, seat fore/aft position, reach, handlebar height, and various cleat settings, and also recommendations for a specific type and size of saddle and handlebars. I didnít change the saddle or handlebars on my old bike but I did get a new stem, which brought everything else into spec. This bike fitting guide could probably get you close but I highly recommend getting the professional fit. http://veloweb.ca/bike-fit/

Armed with my measurements and a general idea of the kind of cycling I do (long rides with lots of climbing frequently on rough roads) I started looking at bikes. I looked at the Roubaix, the brother to the Ruby youíre looking at. It was an exceptionally comfortable bike but it soon became apparent that many of the carbon fiber bikes were comfortable enough, so I started looking a little more at weight, acceleration and climbing ability. I ended up with a Cervelo R5 that I got at an irresistible price, thanks in large part to my daughter. Although itís more bike than I am rider, it is the perfect old guys bike. It is very light weight, sports all day comfort and is a renowned climber. I also like the Sram components. With a little modification, you can achieve lower gearing on Sramís compaq double than you can get on a Shimano triple.

Relative to men, women tend to have a shorter torso, a shorter reach, less shoulder width, wider hips and longer legs. Depending how you compare to that, a womenís specific bike could be a good choice.

I would imagine you will be able to modify your existing bike to fit better for very little money, meanwhile Iíd try a bunch of different bikes to see if I could find one that really stands out. I think youíll be amazed at the differences. Also the price for a bike fit at the bike shop you posted above looks to be very reasonable.

Larry
Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
MS Whisperer

Thanks for all advice Larry, that was very helpful!

So first, I did try to get my current bike to fit me better. But it is a 56cm and I need a 51, and it just proved insurmountable, which stinks because its only a year old and I have updated a lot of things on it. Steve actually might use it (it is more his size then mine, which surprised me, as I am 5'5 and he is 6 feet!) and set it up as a tri bike....so for now it lives on in my house.

So, I visited several shops with a variety of brands (Jamis, specialized, trek cannondale are the ones I tried) and rode several bikes. I found out a few things...

1. There is such a thing as "too light" to me.
2. I like the SRAM shifting a lot.
3. I REALLY like a lower step over height.
4. The girls bikes come with narrower handle bars that really make me feel in control.

After riding everything, going home and reading reviews, thinking about my riding needs and style, and then going to ride a few a second time I finally picked a new bike.

I did end up with the Ruby, with the SRAM shifters (apex) and she should be here soon. I am so excited to get out there on a bike that feels way less scary and way more in control.

I am so annoyed at the bike shop I purchased satan bike (my nickname for the big bike) from. It was a LBS that had high ratings and supposedly they were supposed to be quite knowledgeable. I repeatedly told them the bike felt too big, but was assured that it was the appropriate size for me. I just figured with all my quirks and weirdnesses it was ME that was the problem and not the bike. All season long I felt like I didn't really have control of the bike, couldn't let go of the handlebars or get into the drops at all because it just felt scary. And now I wonder if the issue contributed to my fall at all?

I am just going to move forward, but now I feel SO much more confident in my ability. So, cross your fingers, I hope this is going to be a good thing!

I bought the bike from a shop that will include a 3D bike fitting when the bike gets here. They say it takes about 2 hours, I cannot imagine! But hey, it will probably be useful.

We'd like to do out first tri this year, so it should be nice for that....if I can ever learn to swim!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
MS Yoda

Marina,
I can't believe that bike shop sold you that big of a bike either, you're right, there's no way you'll ever get that bike to fit.

One more thing that might be worth mentioning, when I got my 3D medical bike fit I told them I had MS hoping they might be able to help me out with any issues they found. That might have been a mistake and just set them off to make me as comfortable as they could on the bike. What I wanted was to get the most power out of what I had. Having said that though, when I looked at the 3D analysis, my cycling stroke wasn't all that bad. I'll go back to get myself tweaked in for max power on the new bike after I start climbing.

I've been out 9 times this month, unbelievable for January in Colorado. If this weather holds, I'll start some real climbing by the end of February. I love my new bike and I can't wait to see how it performs on a sustained climb.

Looking forward to a good year Marina,

Larry
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM
MS Sage

Default Looking forward to climbing???

Larry- I can't imagine looking forward to a sustained climb. I avoid hills whenever possible. Climbing is definitely not one of my favorite activities. I am sure that is because I suck at it.
Really looking forward to meeting you!

My off season cycling class is going well. I am debating whether I can spin at 7 am and ride outside at 10 am. I hope I can talk myself into it. We will ride the tandem at 10 so I can slack a bit.

Marina- It does really stink that the bike shop sold you such a big bike. Yes, I think it may have contributed to a fall. It sounds like your new bike will be sweet.

Pell
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
MS Whisperer

Hopefully I did this right...here she is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Bike.jpg (93.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
MS Sage

Default She's beautiful

She is just beautiful. I enjoyed this article after I got my bike. Of course, once the newness wore off, I didn't keep it as clean
http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_happy
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
MS Yoda

Gorgeous bike Marina, I see cycling addiction in your future. I probably shouldn't post this here, little bit of bad language, but WTF:
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/1267...plained?page=1

Same here Pell, sorry we didn't get any snow west of the divide for you. You'll get to see some of the "Triple Bypass" route though and you can hear me repeat "I love to climb", "I love to climb" over and over again as I try to convince myself I can do that on a bike.

Here's a scary one, 3rd day of this years just announced Ride the Rockies. This might be the ride that had Frank Schleck sucking air so badly in the Pro Challenge last year.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/64954008

Maybe you guys should think about RTR in 2015.

Later,

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM
MS Whisperer

Hahaha! I love it...a super-freak

I laughed when he was talking about the price of his bike. I was moaning about the cost of my bike, referring to it as the most expensive bike ever made, and he had me look at some other price tags in the store and I no longer feel that way (unless I am being dramatic).

This week was a good week for me. 5.5 hours of spin class including a "super spin fest" yesterday, which was a 2 hour class. I don't know what it will transfer to on the bike, but as it is 24 degrees out right now I might not find out for awhile