Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall prevalence in people with multiple sclerosis who use wheelchairs and scooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall prevalence in people with multiple sclerosis who use wheelchairs and scooters

Using a wheelchair or scooter doesn't decrease your risk of falling. Be vigilant and careful, especially when transferring. - D

Fall prevalence in people with multiple sclerosis who use wheelchairs and scooters

Rice, Laura PhD, MPT, ATPa,*; Kalron, Alon PT, PhDb; Berkowitz, Shani H. PTc; Backus, Deborah PT, PHDd; Sosnoff, Jacob J. PhDa

Section Editor(s): García-Massó., Xavier

Medicine: September 2017 - Volume 96 - Issue 35 - p e7860
    doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000007860
    Research Article: Observational Study

Abstract:

Falls are a serious health concern for persons with multiple sclerosis (PwMS) who use wheelchairs or scooters as their primary mode of mobility. Unfortunately, little is known about the fall prevalence and characteristics of this large segment of the multiple sclerosis (MS) community.

The purpose of this study is to determine the prevalence and circumstances of falls in wheelchair and scooter users living with MS.

Forty-four PwMS were recruited from research and medical centers in the United States and Asia. Participants completed a survey focusing on prevalence of falls, frequency of injurious falls, circumstances of the fall, and various quality of life indicators. A total of 44 individuals (32 females/11 males/1 not reported) aged 27 to 82 years (mean = 58 yrs) completed the survey.

Seventy-five percent (n = 33) reported falling at least once in 6 months and 48% (n = 12) of those that fell sustained an injury. The majority (87.5%) of the falls occurred inside the home. Most individuals (76.7%; n = 33) reported concerns about falling and 65.9% (n = 29) limited their activities because of their concern of falling.

Falls are prevalent in wheelchair and scooter users with MS. The observations highlight the need for interventions targeting this segment of the MS community.

FULL ARTICLE:
    http://journals.lww.com/md-journal/F...erosis.20.aspx
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I will not attempt to exit my wheelchair unless I have both hands on something. At the minimum, a cane and the nearest wall. Often a Zimmer frame. I have installed hand rails from bedside to the bathroom, so nighttime trips are safer.

Even with those precautions, I do fall every now and then, but those are usually caused by tripping on a dog or cat!
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

Working...
    X