Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 'horsey' ms'ers out there?

Hello!

Dx'n with RRMS March 09. I stay extremely active through my horses - they are my saving grace so to speak. I train and compete in Barrel racing and horse shows. Just wondering if there are any others out there with similiar interests? Would love to hear your inspiring stories

Originally posted by NDturn3 View Post
    Hello!

Dx'n with RRMS March 09. I stay extremely active through my horses - they are my saving grace so to speak. I train and compete in Barrel racing and horse shows. Just wondering if there are any others out there with similiar interests? Would love to hear your inspiring stories
    Hi, I was diagnosed with ms about 6 yrs ago. My horse is my best friend and my lifeline - apart from my husband who is a huge help with my obsession for riding. I am just recovering from spinal surgery at the moment - long story!! - but I love competing on my horse at dressage competitions and hacking out. I'm having to take things slowly at the moment but can't wait to get going again x

Comment

Dressage rider here. Breeder, rider, and stable owner. Trying to reduce the load, because I can not do as much as I once did. But I can still ride, and that means the world to me.

Comment

Hi,
        My horse's name is Treasure, and he is. I've ridden all my life (though still consider myself an advanced beginner). I was diagnosed with MS last June and it has seriously interfered with my ability to ride. This makes me very sad some days, but so does the weather in NY : ). I'd like to communicate with other riders and exchange ideas, exercises, suggestions. Please feel free to contact me.

Comment

I've mostly done Dressage, but dream of Eventing as I own a young pony being trained for both. I would also like to participate in para-equestrian events at some point.

Comment

Reply to your post

Hi,
            I am riding every day as weather permits, here in NY, although I really have to push myself to groom and tack up. I want to ride so much it's completely worth the exertion even though simply walking to my arena (which used to be so simple), completely wears me out. Once I'm on, though I'm good to go. I feel having riding goals really helps me stay in touch with my horse, and the MS takes a back seat.

How are others of you doing?

Louise

Comment

I've had horses since I was 13 and I'm 55 now. We have seriously downsized since my diagnosis and all the issues that come with it. My major problem is weakness and balance. We still have my husband's QH gelding and my Friesian/Arabian mare. We mostly just ride trail. I haven't ridden in a while (and hate that!) so we sold my trail horse. The Friesian/Arabian is a show horse and I have a trainer/rider for her. I am getting ready to start therapeutic riding in the hopes that it will help not just with the weakness but also the balance.

Comment

Hello horse friends,

Dear all,
                I am newly diagnosed RRMS, and so far have mild sensory symptoms. I'm 54 and started riding horses a few years ago, when my aunt who is 81 said I needed 'barn therapy' and she was right and now I ride, help at the barn, and take lessons. I like to think that I will always be able to ride, even when I can't do other things. Being around the horses puts me 'in the moment' which is a beautiful thing! Have a good day, ArrowDaisy
                ArrowDaisy

Comment

Hi Arrow Daisy
                  I know exactly what you mean. I n ow have progressive ms but that doesn't stop me mucking out and looking after my horse and even riding him with some help/supervision!! I love it
                  Julietta

Comment

My 2 horses were nothing fancy; a half Arabian and a 1/4 TW. I miss them! I brought them with me when I moved from Mississippi to Iowa but had to board them. There were quite happy on 80 acres with a lot of other horses.

I never got to ride them here. They were the only horses on more acreage in Mississippi but would come running when I whistled. If I had to go looking for them (as I did here in Iowa) I would be way too weak to tack up, much less ride.

Wound up giving them away.

Comment

I am an equestrian coach, mostly English disciplines (which means I help others to ride but have very little time to ride for myself). I have nearly 45 students at a large equestrian school. I was dx with RRMS 2 years ago, and have tried and tried to adapt my schedule to continue working, but alas, with vision, balance, fatigue problems and heat intolerance taking their toll, I find work is alot less fun that it used to be. As well, I'm a contractor/self employed, so working less hours at a job I used to love means much more stress, less $ and no benefits. Definitely time for a change.

As for help for riders with MS...
                      Pre and post cooling with ice vests do help, as does having a helper or volunteer. Having an insulated indoor arena is a life saver, yes, the riders and horses I work with are spoiled:P but it stays cooler in summer, by nearly 10 degrees, and warmer in winter for sure! I've had much success working with my local physio and Pilates trainer to help reduce my daily fatigue and increase my endurance to shout at children. lol

My hope is to find less physically taxing office job so that I can save energy (and $) to get back to riding just for myself, which really is the fun part! Happy trails.

Comment

Mrs. Maybe Madam President/First lady!

Do y'all know that Anne Romney rides for therapy?

Susan Castaneda in Albuquerque
                        Also is an equine / leadership coach!
                        Look for her on Facebook?

Comment

Trail rider, my horse is Mini-Cooper. I am in Reno,NV. Would like to hear from others in area mabe get together.

Comment

does she?? I know she has trainers for her horse, but I don't know that she rides him. Wish I could write off my horse to the tune of $77,000 a year. Heck just the feed would be cool with me.

Comment

To the Attention of Riders

Hi,
                              Two women friended me, a while ago, but I haven't heard from either since that time. I would love to have the support of others in my sport, as I continue to ride with my MS limitations - perhaps you would also. Please reply.

Thanks,
                              Louise

Comment

Working...
                              X