Just signed up for adaptive ski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just signed up for adaptive ski

New Mexico has a great program and I know some of the volunteers. I'll try boarding standing up first. With my past experience as an expert snowboarder, I think I have the leg strength and balance to give it a go. If that doesn't fly, I'll do the mono-ski. It's more aggressive than the bi-ski, and requires a good deal more upper body strength, which I have. At some point, I may be able to go on my own.

The program is six weeks long and winter can't come soon enough! But I am worried about snow. We are in a major drought that is expected to roll through winter. Ugh.

Must. Pray. For. Snow.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I will happily work up a snow-dance for NM if it will keep some of the snow away from WI. Between our very long sidewalk, my lousy shoulder, and spouse's MS-related fatigue, we could live with a little less snow removal this winter!

Good luck with this. Sounds like a blast, snow deities willing.

Comment

It looks like I'll be doing both sit and stand. Standing will be good therapy and balance work, but I'll need to stay away from anything harder than a mogul-free blue. Sitting will be good for learning how to hammer the mountain like I used to. With practice, I should be able to get to the black/double black level I was, ride solo, and even board the lift with little help. We'll see about the moguls, though!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Wondering. Others know anything more about the ski bike? Ever tried one? I've never put on two skis to go downhill and as a dedicated snowboarder it still gives me the willies. But I'll admit the bike does look fun....

BTW: winter storm watch for the San Juans tonight! I'm heading to Durango this weekend to smell the snow and catch the first snowcaps of the season. (It was going to be a leaf trip, but Mom Nature had other ideas.)

Hope you heal fast!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
          New Mexico has a great program and I know some of the volunteers. I'll try boarding standing up first. With my past experience as an expert snowboarder, I think I have the leg strength and balance to give it a go. If that doesn't fly, I'll do the mono-ski. It's more aggressive than the bi-ski, and requires a good deal more upper body strength, which I have. At some point, I may be able to go on my own.

The program is six weeks long and winter can't come soon enough! But I am worried about snow. We are in a major drought that is expected to roll through winter. Ugh.

Must. Pray. For. Snow.
          Dave, just wondering if there's an update on the snowboarding?

Sue, also been wondering for a while now, how the metatarsil is?

Larry

Comment

I'll be rocking the mono ski next Saturday! Jan 28-March 11, with a break for President's Day. Six week program. I've got to dust off all my gear to get it ready. I don't think they'll want me attempting to board day 1, but you never know....
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

I've updated my blog on snowboarding in New Zealand and posted about doing adaptive this upcoming weekend. Gulp! I'm ready!

http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2012...y-disease.html
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Go, Dave!

Should we 60-and-overs try snowboarding, since it seems to be the snow sport best suited to MSers? ok bone density; can ride a bongo board.

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
                  I'll be rocking the mono ski next Saturday! Jan 28-March 11, with a break for President's Day. Six week program. I've got to dust off all my gear to get it ready. I don't think they'll want me attempting to board day 1, but you never know....
                  So, how'd it go? Get any slope time in?

Comment

I'll have an update soon. Ran out of time today. But to sum up: hella fun!
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                    X