Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet

Hey dave yesterday I called that number you had put up to be connected to others dealing with MS. The guy on the other end was sort of weird he said he had stopped taking DMDs 4 yrs ago and just takes supplements and follows the swank diet.

My question is, has anyone followed the swank diet religiously? Do you notice any benefits?

I honestly love milk and bread though =/

Whoa, whoa, that number wasn't from me, at least I'm pretty darn sure. I don't have anyone on a call list. That said, a few answers to your Qs....

1. No diet of any kind as been shown to help in MS in a scientific trial. That doesn't mean they don't work and you won't feel better, but take all the reviews and "I was cured" with a grain of salt. A diet that is healthy and includes lots of fiber will be good for your overall health regardless.

2. Other than Vitamin D, no supplement has been shown to have a major impact on MS and even the influence of Vitamin D is still in question. Again, grain of salt.

3. DMDs are the only treatments that have been proven to have an effect statistically on the disease. None are cures. Speaking of curing, it takes a lot of salt. You know, to cure meat, but I digress....
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Sigh. I see.

But what about all those folks who refuse to medicate and control their MS with diet and supplements? They swear they feel better. And whats all this about LDN?

Comment

Originally posted by AshNight View Post
        But what about all those folks who refuse to medicate and control their MS with diet and supplements? They swear they feel better.
        That was the only option before 1993 for MSers. Rates of disability have dropped significantly since, ask any neuro. Still, nearly 50% of MSers take no DMD ... and many are on this forum and are my friends. It's important to remember that 90% of disease activity is subclinical—you can't feel it. Just like you can't usually "feel" that a DMD is working. It can be frustrating. That's why many do all three: DMDs, diet, and supplements.

Originally posted by AshNight View Post
        And whats all this about LDN?
        It's popular, some swear by it. To my knowledge there has only been one significant study with LDN and MS, which showed that while it did not slow down disease progression, it did appear to help with fatigue and overall quality of life, areas difficult to quantify.

There are many other opinions out there about diet, supplements, DMDs, LDN, etc, so do your own research and chat with your neuro. I'm curious what other active MSers think....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Thanks, did have a chat with my neuro who said the same as you that diet and LDN dont really have any clinical/scientific backing. But if youre saying that LDN sems to help with fatigue and overall quality of life then its gotta be doing something . . .

I have been doing so much research that quite frankly, I am confused! Dont really know which way to go . . .

But coming to this forum did motivate me to start working out again

Comment

Hi Ash

I see you're in the research phase....when I first got diagnosed I overdosed on the info - I was so confused...so many diets, medications, and thousands of supplements....each one with their own following and devotees who swear by it.

I was interested in the swank diet at first....but like you I couldn't go gluten-free and I really found no research that made it worth it to me....but others say its a miracle for them and that they feel so much better.

I think if i were going to do one of these diets I would not also rule out the medication - as long as the diet is balanced and healthy overall...well I don't see what harm it might do to you....but its no reason not to treat your MS with DMD if that is what you want to do.

Best of luck to you...I think you'll eventually weed out the good pieces of advice scattered around the internet and not get caught up in hype and instant cures.

Comment

Hi Ash,

What an interesting question. I have been doing a lot of research myself and also had been wondering if the diet works. I personally have been looking at becoming vegan but I love cheese and meat too much. Perhaps maybe become vegetarian first and then vegan? Here is a book I am currently reading and it is really interesting. It is called The China Study. I ordered it through Amazon and it was recommended to me by my sister who is a vegan. Good luck!

Comment

Ash, another thing to keep in mind that I neglected to mention (maybe I just assumed everyone knows): more research keeps on coming up supporting exercise. Strength, aerobic, and stretching. That will help more than you know with fatigue and QOL. Speaking of exercise, I've got to get to it!
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

I have to totally agree with you Dave. Before getting/finding out I had MS I was a pretty out of shape smoker

First thing, I quit smoking right away.

Then, once I got over my initial shocked, its the end of the world and my life and everything phase, I started looking for things to help...not just horror stories

I started with 1 weekly class of "gentle/intro yoga" and went from there. I'm not super fit now either....but I'm training to ride my first charity type ride (60 miles)...maybe I wont make it... but I am definitely going to try

I feel much better physically.... leg stiffness, flexibility and balance have improved immensity. Being in better physical shape is good for anyone's health.

Luckily for me my husband happened to work on the car of Dave's mother (complicated huh?) and I learned about the site. I just read for a long time... but it was much more positive and hopeful....but not in that ALL CAPS best diet/supplement/etc miracle treatment way.

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                    Hi Ash

I see you're in the research phase....when I first got diagnosed I overdosed on the info - I was so confused...so many diets, medications, and thousands of supplements....each one with their own following and devotees who swear by it.

I was interested in the swank diet at first....but like you I couldn't go gluten-free and I really found no research that made it worth it to me....but others say its a miracle for them and that they feel so much better.

I think if i were going to do one of these diets I would not also rule out the medication - as long as the diet is balanced and healthy overall...well I don't see what harm it might do to you....but its no reason not to treat your MS with DMD if that is what you want to do.

Best of luck to you...I think you'll eventually weed out the good pieces of advice scattered around the internet and not get caught up in hype and instant cures.

Yeah youre right, but what I want to know is why some people are against DMDs, they say the side effects are horrible . . .
                    Originally posted by Stella View Post
                    Hi Ash,

What an interesting question. I have been doing a lot of research myself and also had been wondering if the diet works. I personally have been looking at becoming vegan but I love cheese and meat too much. Perhaps maybe become vegetarian first and then vegan? Here is a book I am currently reading and it is really interesting. It is called The China Study. I ordered it through Amazon and it was recommended to me by my sister who is a vegan. Good luck!
                    What is the China study about? Is it about the diet and lifestyle of chinese people?
                    Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
                    Ash, another thing to keep in mind that I neglected to mention (maybe I just assumed everyone knows): more research keeps on coming up supporting exercise. Strength, aerobic, and stretching. That will help more than you know with fatigue and QOL. Speaking of exercise, I've got to get to it!
                    Yeah, I joined LA fitness and I do feel more better and not as tingly, I just need to work on my balance now. I basically was depressed for a yr and didnt nothing but stay home and starve myself, it really took a toll on my body, I am so weak now.

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                      I have to totally agree with you Dave. Before getting/finding out I had MS I was a pretty out of shape smoker

First thing, I quit smoking right away.

Then, once I got over my initial shocked, its the end of the world and my life and everything phase, I started looking for things to help...not just horror stories

I started with 1 weekly class of "gentle/intro yoga" and went from there. I'm not super fit now either....but I'm training to ride my first charity type ride (60 miles)...maybe I wont make it... but I am definitely going to try

I feel much better physically.... leg stiffness, flexibility and balance have improved immensity. Being in better physical shape is good for anyone's health.

Luckily for me my husband happened to work on the car of Dave's mother (complicated huh?) and I learned about the site. I just read for a long time... but it was much more positive and hopeful....but not in that ALL CAPS best diet/supplement/etc miracle treatment way.
                      I bet you feel a lot better and I am glad. Hopefully you will be able to make those 60 miles! Have you lost weight after the changes you made?

Comment

Yes!!...but still some poundsto go

Comment

I need to lose weight and tone up, any tips?

Comment

Hi Ash,

In answer to your question. The China Study is a study on diet some scientists did in China and the astonishing things they found. Simply by changing your diet you can prevent or combat loads of diseases. Here is a link that will give you a review about the book:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...e-china-study/

Also, Ash, have you read Skinny Bitch? That is a really good book as well to give you tips on healthier eating. They even have a cook book out called Skinny Bitch In The Kitch.
                            Last edited by Stella; 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Hi, I'm new here, and trying to figure out the whole diet thing... I've always been a super healthy eater and I've been working at a vegan restaurant for a year now. I can say (from personal experience) that by eating no or very little white meats and no animal by-products, that though I haven't lost weight (I still have a sweet tooth...) I do feel lighter and more energetic. I was diagnosed with MS last week and am going through a frenzy of research. I think I might try a raw diet, see how that goes for my symptoms. Some people on youtube are swearing by it. What I don't understand though, are those who are saying to avoid legumes like soy, dairy and gluten. How do these foods affect MS??? I understand the importance of eating well and exercising, but some of the reasons behind avoiding certain foods and choosing certain diets (raw/swank/no gluten/etc) because of MS are leaving me confused....

Comment

Working...
                              X