MSers in Training 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the boards

This is my first post here....a little bit about me.

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2005. No major disability at that time. I was a fully ambulatory runner/ yoga and pilates enthusiast (who wore heels every day).

Fast forward to February 2013. I tripped and fell coming out of the subway (wearing flats no less ) and broke my ankle.

The initial recovery from the ankle break caused me to rely on a cane. I've been walking with one ever since. For whatever reason spasticity in my left leg has become a huge problem, even though I broke my right ankle and never had an issue before the break.

I was going to physical therapy for a long time but it was not doing anything to address my left leg issues. I started to get really depressed, all of the things that I used to do I couldn't do anymore. Running, hiking, heel wearing. Even a simple walk across the street became a challenge.

I had abdominal surgery in September, and after 6 weeks of recovery I went back to pilates but not back to the old PT; that place was a waste of my time. I figured I could do better on my own. Needless to say, I saw little improvement.

A few weeks ago my husband went out birdwatching (another of my favorites that I can't do anymore). I decided at that moment I was not going to let another summer pass with me being stuck inside not doing the things that I love.

I found a new PT, one who has worked with MS patients before. Not to mention the fact that unlike the other place I actually work one on one with the same person the entire time. So far I've been to 3 sessions.

So my training schedule is this:

Sunday: 1h Pilates
    Monday: Off
    Tuesday: PT
    Wednesday: Elliptical
    Thursday: PT
    Friday: Elliptical
    Saturday: Outdoor walk

Wednesdays and Fridays might be a bit of a challenge only because there are days during the week where I have to work late so I might have to juggle my gym trips.

Thank you all for reading...I came here because its hard to find online resources for people who are extremely active with MS. It's a good motivator!!

Comment

Hi sorry to hear about your ankle. My spasticity increases from increase in use, sickness, or fatigue, so it makes sense to me that your increased reliance on leg has triggered some spasticity. I found magnesium calcium zinc tablets help me. Stretching is also somewhat helpful, but I still don't have good plan established for that. Other threads have referred to stretching methods. Talk to your neuro for sure. Glad you found a PT you like better. I've had similar experiences. Good luck! Suebee

Comment

PS. I really missed my high heels too, I found I can tolerate some wedge heels on occasion.

Comment

Bkny, welcome, MS is hard enough without all the rest of the stuff, hope that all improves for you. Stay with us, we all do try to keep each other going.

I got 85 miles and a spin bike session on a rainy day in last week and also raised my 20 minute power on the bike by 2 more watts. This was the first week back on the bike that included two back to back 30 mile rides at a brisk pace. It was also the first climbing ride of the season. I also walked twice, did yoga twice, weights once, and PT and core once. Although doing all that stuff was a huge challenge to start with I am finding it a little easier now and beginning to enjoy some of the benefits from it.

Carry on everybody,

Comment

AM thanks for your positive attitude! I just started interval training. I found a 5k plan in 7 wks from mayo clinic. I want to run again. I have a fantasy of doing a 5 k this summer. It has very very short intervals which get longer over the wks. My plan is to follow it until I can't do length of interval. I "ran" on an out of the way shady dirt path so if I fell I wouldn't get hurt ( and no one wld see my off form )! It felt good and maybe too easy until end of workout when I felt it was just rt. I also was careful to cool my body afterwards In a shower. On day 2 however I'm had a lot of spasticity and need to address this and maybe temper plan. But your post reminded me that I will find an activity that I can do and I'm not throwing I'm the towel on running yet.

Comment

Here is interval plan for 5k

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...-20050962?pg=2

Suebee

Comment

Suebee, nice job finding the training plan and I agree, I too would much rather walk on a dirt path, it's slightly more difficult requiring more concentration and if I do happen to drag a foot it's less likely to trip me up. For the spaticity you might consider using a spin bike or an elliptical machine in place of that days routine, or change gears entirely and take a restorative yoga class or lift a few weights. Of course, if your body's telling you that you just need to rest, it's never a bad idea to take its advice, sufficient rest is key to success.

Glad you're on your way,
                Larry

Comment

Hi all: Just a quick catch up post....as I've written here before, what you all post SO helps me stay motivated.....

I've been having a rough time with a rotator cuff injury...my right, dominant shoulder....Getting good PT from my ortho therapist, with MORE exercises to do at home....Sometimes I feel I need to just stop working so I can take care of my physical health as well as I would like!

I've replaced the plank exercises, which aren't good for the shoulder, with the pilates version... ..and now I , too, am finding deep muscles I never knew I had... Pretty cool... But I have to say, I kind of miss those side planks.....I love a challenge!

Everyone's cycling/running workouts are getting me so antsy about riding again this year. While the trike is fun, that anti-social aspect of it really bugs me, along with admitting to myself that I miss standing up when I pedal. So, I have been researching Adult Training Wheels..... wacky sounding, but may be a way for me to get back safely on a two wheeler when with friends, or when I need to finish a ride within the century (meaning years here, not miles!) I have a good bike mechanic who is going to help me see if one of them will work for me.....there will be trade offs, but what the heck, that's the way it goes....Anyone have any experience with these things?

Larry, glad you got the tail light fixed!
                  Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Veronica, I loved to bike before MS and now because of balance issues haven't taken my bike out. But I found quite a few elite athletes on the internet that use racing trikes. See link
                    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ampionshi.html
                    She got an axel from England and converted her bike. I talked to local bike shop where I live and they said they could tinker with it together. I wanted to get my endurance up before I lay out money to trike out my bike. I also won't be doing really long rides so I wanted to think about whether I would make my current hybrid a trike or buy a road bike to make into one. I agree with you, I want to be at standard bike level. I asked at one local race events if they would let me enter with trike. Yes! The racing trike is considered rare but if you search for para athlete on on internet you can find out more. Let me know how it goes ! Suebee

Comment

Also, I looked at a lot if training wheels on line, if I go that route, I will likely get fat ones that enable you to ride on dirt (think park) http://www.especialneeds.com/tricycl...ng-wheels.html

Comment

Sue, Thanks for this info! That racing trike looks great. I probably will go for more of the training wheels as I spent a chunk of money on the recumbent trike last year.... I would want wheels for road riding. Since I see that Dave recently took his recumbent trike off road, I may indeed do the same! I just need to better research which training wheels work for 20" tires, and with a quick release rear wheel.... would love the type that responds to the movement of the bike so that I could get the natural movement of back and forth as I ride. But I am now hopeful! I'll let you know!
                        Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Veronica, 9 side planks on my weak side is my record so far too. But, I am feeling the benefit of the core exercises in more ways than I can mention. Hope that rotator cuff problem comes around soon.

Suebee, how are the long runs going?

Got 105 miles, 4 days, 8:20 total time and over 7,000 ft. of ascent last week. The climbing has begun. I've been working on pedal stroke for years now but finally feel like I'm getting it, especially on my weaker side. I'm also working on controlling my heart rate on the climbs. Although I may go a little slower, I seem to have better control over my cadence and pedal stroke and I have plenty of power when I need it on the short steep pitches. I also find I'm in better shape when I reach the top of these hills.

Take care all,
                          Larry

Comment

AM, I am really thankful to be attempting running and trying not to give up. Today is day 7 for me of plan. The first day I did 15 sec sprints with 45 sec walking i had pretty good form. It was effortful but didn't cause me to do nothing the rest of day, as prior attempts at exercise have done. So I figured I had pick a good interval. But after that my body mostly legs has had increase in spasticity. I'm very stiff moving rest of time. I took to stretching a lot more before and after. This helped a little. I have not been able to run sprints since because of tightness esp hip flexors. So I modified sprints to 1 min slow shuffle jog with best upright form I can muster followed by 1 min normal walk. I concentrated on breathing and used time to deliberately meditate and focus on blessing of my body moving rather than disappointment I am not sprinting. I have also told family and friends that I was training for 5 k and I was going to go it if it takes me 3 hrs to walk it! I like goal and it means something to me to do it. Yesterday was day 6 and first 3 mile walk/run. I did it with the 1 min shuffle 1 min walk and no stopping. I focused on my gratitude for that accomplishment and it was a joyful excercise. I did my route in a state forest with even terrain path in shade and it was breathtaking scenery. In fact, I brought my speedy healthy teenage daughter with me and she complained the whole way about being too hot, too buggy, too muddy, and how tired she felt. But I didn't feel any of that. She has never seen me "run" a distance before. How cool is that?

Comment

AM, I forgot to say congratulations on your cycling. Your posts keep me trying. Thanks!

Comment

Finally got my bike outside!!! I did 7.5 miles on Monday and 11.5 yesterday.

I feel you Veronica on the isolating factor of the trike. There is a group newbie training ride on Saturday that I am hemming and hawing about going on or not, because, while it is held by the MS society, I dont know if they want the complication of someone on a trike there. Maybe later in the season when I am a bit faster. But right now my average is 10.5-11.5 mph and I worry that I will bog down the group.

So I ride with my husband (or alone when he is not around). We just (in the middle of Feb) moved somewhere very close to the trail (.3 miles away, no busy roads) so I am much more confident alone. But I feel a bit bad to go with him too as I know I am massively slowing him down.

Love the look of that race trike, the biggest issue I have with mine if the weight and going up hills. too bad the 1 carbon fiber one they make is so pricey!

Comment

Working...
                                X