Electric vehicles are the future for everyone—except for disabled people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric vehicles are the future for everyone—except for disabled people

Interesting food for thought. And I wanted our next car to be a full EV! Boo. -D

By locating the battery in the floor of the vehicle, auto companies are making it difficult to convert EVs for wheelchair users

By Christopher Reardon Jul 2, 2021

In a Super Bowl commercial that aired earlier this year, GM declared that its electric vehicles were designed for everyone. The ad closed with the image of a one-armed surfer to emphasize its point. But sometime later, that surfer was replaced by an able-bodied counterpart, with no explanation for the switch. As a wheelchair user, I was left wondering whether people like me are being left out of the EV revolution?

There’s no doubt that EVs are going to be one of the pillars of our future, yet there are currently none on the market for the disabled. Retrofitting these vehicles with ramps seems close to impossible due to the architecture. And the only EV on the horizon that could be made accessible isn’t coming until 2023 — and even then, it’s unclear that it will be marketed toward disabled drivers.

ARTICLE:
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/2/22...ersion-battery
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers
Working...
X