• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michela11
    replied
    Originally posted by BBBBB View Post
    Hi,

May I suggest you check out the Swank diet at www.Swankmsdiet.org?\

Hi, I started on the Swank diet a couple of weeks after my initial sort-of! diagnosis last November. I have relapsed on two occasions in making roast lamb tsk tsk. But apart from that, I've been very diligent and until recently, felt it was all working well.

Swan's theories are very valuable to consider, and it's great to hear from someone like you who's been on it for so long and has reaped so many benefits.

Can I ask you what your main symptoms and signs were, and any other tips you want to give (not pressuring) about how you've come this far, so well?

Leave a comment:

• Michela11
    replied
    Hello, I'm Michelle from Sydney Australia. I stumbled on this site by accident looking for exercise ideas and tips for working out well with MS.

Diagnosed as CIS Presumed MS Nov 2007, only last week changed to clinically definite. Have problems with my legs - balance, weakness and parasthesia. Oh, and the dreaded fatigue.

I'm taking Amantadine for fatigue, no DMD's but am considering Copaxone. Long story (aren't they all?)

I really want to connect with others who want to stay active and positive, help each other and continue to move through any changes MS may bring.

And have laugh too .....

PS - big on resistance training, yoga for 25 years, trying tai chi, love lots of walking, but need to set up a regular routine now that won't exhaust me. Especially to strengthen my legs, which have become quite wobbly of late.
    Last edited by Michela11; 08-26-2008, 07:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gina_stjean
    replied
    Intro

Hi, diagnosed in 2006 at (ahem) 51 and recently moved to Albuquerque. I've been very active in the past, doing a lot of hiking and walking. My main issues are cognitive - I seemed to have developed dyslexia and a few other interesting lapses in neuron functions.

Since I've moved here I've have gained 20#
    and haven't been too active since the heat really gets me. Am really looking forward to meeting some hiking and other activity buddies and getting back into shape.
    Anyone available on weekdays?

Gina

Leave a comment:

• Merganser
    replied
    Hi all,

My name is Susan. I was diagnosed in 1983 and after the first couple of years of weird problems had almost no symptoms until 2000. Things have kind of gone downhill since then, but I'm still walking at least a mile every morning and going to the gym a couple of days a week. I get frustrated when I can't walk as far as I used to.

I'm married, no kids, work at a job I love, have a sailboat and love to sail, do photography and ceramics (both sculpture and wheel) and love to garden. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It's really great having a site like this. Thanks, Dave.

Leave a comment:

• txhollyann
    replied
    I forgot to introduce myself...

Hey all! I realized I'd made some postings and hadn't said who I was! I'm Holly from Pearland, Texas (Houston suburb!)... found this website going internet crazy MS searching after Dx'd in Oct 06 - 1 week to the day after 30th bday!

Not doing a lot of mountain biking or trail running anymore but trying to stay consistent on my recumbent home bike. Houston weather not good for outdoor running with MS! Love to fish and get to enjoy the close saltwater but that doesn't build up much but my biceps!!

Leave a comment:

• murmaggie
    replied
    also happy to find site

I saw the MS is BS post in another MS website and, of course, was intrigued...

I love the optimism of this site; although physically disabled from birth, I was very active before MS struck. In the 3 years it took before diagnosis, I became a couch potato (at first, I was told not to exercise [not due to poss. MS diagnosis], then I just hurt a lot and was very depressed re lack of diagnosis).

Now, I'm ready to resume active life. I do yoga 3-4 times a week and have started sailing lessons... But, I am older and it is hard to keep up the motivation some days...

I think this site will help

Leave a comment:

• RunMS
    replied
    Hi All,

I was diagnosed in January 2006 with RRMS. I have been on Copaxone since April 2006.

I enjoy running, stationary biking, and walking my dog. I truly believe exercise is very important in helping to keep my healthy.

I am so glad I found this website.

Leave a comment:

• MDER123
    replied
    Thanks Dave

Hello all,
    My name is Mike I live in NYC Bridget I run the park also, love it. I also run up under the GW bridge along the west side.
    I was Dx'd on my 35 birthday. The Dr thought I had spinal cancer I guess this was the better of the two. I really got into the running about 2 years ago, dropped over 50lbs eating right and cardio. Some days it gets very tough but its what ya gotta do!
    Thanks again Dave.

Leave a comment:

• BBBBB
    replied
    Hi,

May I suggest you check out the Swank diet at www.Swankmsdiet.org?\

Leave a comment:

• BBBBB
    replied
    Another newbie

Hi,

It's good to see a group that is proactive in addressing MS. I was diagnosed in 1991, I take no medicine for MS and usually only an aspirin a day when I remember. I am now 58 and still have no visible symptoms. I haven't had a relapse in years and years.

My weight is within the normal range, my BP is 95/65, my total cholesterol is 145. I don't run because I have bad knees from my running days of my youth but I can still outrun the average women my age on a cardiovascular stress test. I do walk regularly, five times a week, lift weights, etc.

I have followed a low-fat diet for years (with some cheating) and I think this makes all of the difference in the world. I am definitely a fan of the Swank MS Diet that was developed by a professor of neurology and head of the neurology department at a medical school in Oregon. The diet does alleviate most fatigue problems and other symptoms as well. I also am a big fan of adequate Vit. B1 and D3, and fish oil and calcium supplements.

A while back I decided I wanted to be of service to others with MS so I decided to start sharing information on the importance of a healthy life cycle. This went over like a lead balloon in some circles. It seems a number of those with MS wanted to sit around, eat cheesecake and burgers, gain more and more weight, and don't mind wheel chairs. Geez, I was surprised. I felt upset too because I hate to see others get sicker unnecessarily.

Now I'm thinking that because MS is related to a lack of sunshine exposure in youth, lower levels of Vitamin D and excessive consumption of saturated fat, I should perhaps focus on trying to prevent MS in the upcoming children. Perhaps some older individuals cannot be educated because they do not want to make needed life style changes. Sad.

How do others feel about these issues?

Leave a comment:

• Lab Lover
    replied
    Lab Lover

Hi Everyone!

My first leison appeared in 2002. I only had one and it was in my neck so they didn't call it. I was suppose to take a yearly MRI. Since last March I have been really sick. I do have fibromyalgia as well. So I kind of thought that's what was going on. After a few months I decided to get a MRI. Sure enough I had 4 new leison on my brain, however, they were not active. I am not taking any MS Medication because I'm on so many other drugs. I have been having a very hard time with heat fatigue. It makes working out very difficult. I'm not really into the pool thing. It is discouraging as I am gradually gaining weight.

I am overwhelmed with all I need to learn to take better care of myself. As I find out new info, I often realize I have been creating some of my own problems.

I have a question for everyone. When you have shared your diagnoses with friends and family members, did any of them act like you never told them anything? Just not wanting to talk about it. Almost a kind of denial.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Sonya
    replied
    Hello

Hello to everyone,

I am Sonya, live in Alabama, got dx with RRMS in Feb 08. I am married, have 2 kids, and work full time. I did go to the gym (spin, weights) last summer and now I just don't have the time or the energy. I do swim when I can. I travel a lot for work and my job and family doesn't let me get still for long. Until I over do and collapse for a few days. Or like last week, have a little trouble driving (focusing). That episode scared us a little. I was also having slurred speech. It was 6 am so I was not under the influence of anything other than coffee!!! My neuro said it was likely from old lesions acting up, as I had not probably givenmy body enough time to recover from the previous day's drive. Just wanted to say hello and I am not as active as I wanna be, but right now as active as I can be. Would love to hear if anyone else is from Alabama or close by.

Leave a comment:

• agserra1
    replied
    Adrian

Hi my name is Adrian .. I am the pessimist in this life of MS .. I don't get excited over all the new revalations that come out , I don't often get out even though I am able , and I tend to lean on the side of caution ...

Been living with MS for 7 years now .. and can remember when 'no pain" was related to MS .. so I am sure there are plenty out there that have had some same torturous events as I ...

While I do have a sense of humor, it takes a lot to get it to come out ..

Leave a comment:

• Aprilfools
    replied
    Hi my name is Lisa and I am also from the Pacific NW. I am new to MS but not new to all that comes with it.

Leave a comment:

• cochrajk
    replied
    What a great board...

Hi. I am Joy...new to the diagnosis of MS; however, funny weird stuff happening for years and "possible MS" stated over and over and over.

Used to be an avid runner...not great, just persistent. I was running 4 1/2 to 6 miles a day, and now I get so over heated if I walk 1/2 a mile, run 1/2 a mile, and walk another 1/2 a mile that my right leg begins to not cooperate with me. I would like to get back there, so I am about to begin a 5-k training plan. Determined to find a way past the leg issues.

I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, so there is so much hiking, kayaking, biking, and beach walking to do...I just want to get the energy back to do it all.

Thanks for a wonderful message board. This is great that it is so positive and the site has so much information. Thanks for replying to my post about trekking poles on another site...otherwise I would have never found this place!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X