Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horselover7562
    replied
    I know it's been about 6 weeks since this discussion but wanted to say that while I am short (4'11") and only weigh 130 lbs. I wear a size 36DD bra. I purchased a Polar Products vest (the one with the ice packs) and it fits great and I love it. It has been in the high 90's in the San Diego area and I've been outside doing therapeutic riding sessions and the vest is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    Cooling vests only help if you have a sensitivity to heat; many do but some do not. And of course it may manifest later in your diagnosis (or not)....

Leave a comment:

• Stella
    replied
    Hi Dave, is it normal for some MSers not to use a cooling vest? I am afraid I would have the same problem as Surgery Nurse. Then again, it is way too cold to use one here in Scotland. Makes me wonder how I would fare back in the states now that I have been diagnosed....

Leave a comment:

• SurgeryNurse
    replied
    Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
    You could always give one a try and cross your fingers. And then I would ask that you report back.
    Will do! Thanks again for this info.

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    Hmm. Tough question. All of the vests are somewhat adjustable, but DD adjustable I don't know. This might take some exploring. In general, vests with smaller cooler cores would be more flexible, like the Steele vest, which has three sections of ice that can bend when placed vertically on the front of the vest (both the top and bottom are adjustable). The GT and other phase change vests often have only two sections that can bend. The vest made by Staycool has lots of little ice pockets, so it might fit well.

Many vest makers offer 30-day guarantees. You could always give one a try and cross your fingers. And then I would ask that you report back. I'm sure you are not the only one!

Leave a comment:

• SurgeryNurse
    replied
    I'm a plus size woman (1x to 2x size in Tshirts) looking for a outer vest to wear that won't restrain/smash down the girls(DD's here) and allow me room to breathe but not look like it is 2 sizes too large on my short body frame. The vests that you tested did not look like they could expand out enough for a woman with a large chest but still have a fitted look...or am I mistaken?

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    Originally posted by workinmammaof2 View Post
    I wonder if the classic vest will be semi concealable under a t shirt??
    Sadly, nope. No passive vest (ice, phase change or gel) is concealable under a T-shirt. Even the Polar is visible, but it would have a shot if the T were a touch big (or if you had decent size breasts).

I posted a new T-shirt pic here for the Glacier Tek. It looks goofy. I would just wear the vest over the T.

http://activemsers.wssnoc.net/showthread.php?t=582

Leave a comment:

• workinmammaof2
    replied
    We'll see

Well, I will see how it looks when I get it. I wonder if the classic vest will be semi concealable under a t shirt??

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    I didn't test the regular vest from Glacier Tek. It might actually be better; they do appear very similar. The zipper is a nice touch making it easier to put on and remove.

Again, the AH is great for sports (and looks great), but for general I like the GT and phase change in general.

Leave a comment:

• workinmammaof2
    replied
    Hmmm

Well, now I am a bit torn. I originally thought I would get the arctic heat, but with shorter cooling and possibly getting wet when wearing I thought the Glacier Tek would be better. I would be using more for all purpose stuff, bit like the streamlined look and lighter weight of the Arctic Heat...

Do you think there is much difference in size with the Glacier Tek concealable and classic vest " with zipper"?

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    Actually the ArcticHeat vest now has 20% off as well through the end of July. Dean from the company just posted the extra discount (same code).

I like both vests, but for different purposes. For all-purpose, phase change works best based on my tests. Incidentally, Polar makes a phase change vest that I would imagine would perform well.

Leave a comment:

• workinmammaof2
    replied
    Just ordered mine

Based on your findings I just ordered the Glacier Tek vest. I ordered the "classic vest" instead of the concealable version...they look fairly similar. I was going to order the Arctic heat version, however the Glacier Tek one is cheaper and a bigger discount at the moment. If I don't like it I guess I can always return it!

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    It's up! Hope you find this helpful.

http://www.activemsers.org/gear/testcoolingvests.html

Leave a comment:

• mstile
    replied
    Great job on the testing, sounds like it will be really interesting. I'm also in the market, waiting in suspense!

-mike

Leave a comment:

• SurgeryNurse
    replied
    Cooling Vest Shootout Winner

Interesting information on your test conditions but Aww man what a tease to not give us the winner! I really need this information of the clear winner of the vests that you tested. There is so much confusing information on them out on the web and I really want to place an order for one as soon as possible. Our temp's have been running in the high 90's here (with heat index over 110) so I am definitely struggling with the heat here these days. I'm one of those folks who even wear ice packs during the winter so please, please post your results today!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X