No announcement yet.

MSers Training in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks girls, Tour de Mesa was one of the most relaxing rides I've ever done.

TM, the vibes must have arrived making this such a pleasant ride on a perfect day. You might be interested to know that I just signed up for a 4 day class on the use of walking poles. I'll take both poles, if anything super interesting comes out of it I'll let you know.

LW, I have a lot less problem with heat when I'm on the bike than I do when I'm off of it. I'm sure it has to do with the evaporative cooling, which a little speed combined with proper cycling gear designed to take advantage of it, provides. Also, my theory is that keeping at least a moderately high heart rate in conjunction with the evaporative cooling helps cool the brain too. It can certainly be a different story when I get off the bike though.

Pell, I never thought you had any limitations. Nice job on century, IMHO, centuries are all about a good pair of cycling shorts. Add a 55 mile ride with 3,500 ft of ascent the next day and you've got Pedal los Pueblos in New Mexico. You've about got me convinced to try a bike training camp.

I was just getting back into form from all of the travel time and the road food when the wind blew in 6 more inches of snow. I guess it'll be back to the club for a day or so.

Road food really tore me up. How does everybody deal with eating healthy while traveling?

Larry

Comment

Pell, what a ride. I totally agree with you how our minds can cause limitations. The minute doubt starts sneaking in, I start to have problems. Then it's quite the effort to turn it around.

Larry, I'll be interested in your walking pole class. After some lovely weather, the temperature is plunging and we're to get snow as well!

Take care all.

Teena Marie

Comment

How much is too much?

I managed to answer the question of "How much is too much?" for myself over the past week. A week ago Tuesday I biked up a very steep mile long hill 5 times, Yoga on Wednesday, 45 miles of intermittent sprints on Thursday, yoga on Friday, 40 miles at the maximum pace I could carry for that distance on Saturday, off on Sunday, finished tearing out a patio deck on Monday, and thinking I had reasonably recovered on Tuesday, tried unsuccessfully to climb a 14 mile long steep hill.

How much was too much? Too much was when I pushed about an hour past the 20 minute "my legs aren't working and I don't feel good" limit on Tuesday. Although, at one point the legs almost did start working, they abruptly quit when I encountered a relatively steep section of hill.

Today I'm in a knee brace, my legs are shaky and my back is killing me. I'll be several more days recovering from this.

How much is too much? Too much is pushing past the pain zone into the injury zone. It's a dumb thing to do and in the future I will adhere to the 20 minute rule and lighten up or stop when my body just isn't cooperating.

Comment

Yikes!

I will need 2 days to recover after reading this!

Don't be too hard on yourself my friend. Who among us hasn't gone a bit too far on occasion -- although I think your recent exploits qualify as not just a bit too far, but as downright monumental!

I remember hill repeats on the bike - did 'em when I was training for triathlon with a coach and training group. That group was lots of fun but I don't know if I would have found it in myself to do half of what we did on my own.

You are still an inspiration.

...\O/...
          Liv__Well
          ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Larry,

That qualifies as quite the week! I seem to remember you saying it was important to build rest into the exercise equation!

I liked your description of heat affecting the nervous system.

I'm off for a moderate swim and pool workout before heading to work.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

I may be joining you all this year after all May.

I haven't been able to ride my 2 wheel bike (Ruby) for almost 3 years and it has been the source of much frustration and sadness for me. I have been walking/jogging but this year had a health fiasco (that is resolved/resolving) that has put me back at step 1 (haha). Essentially I had to drop the jogging entirely and go back to building a solid base walking.

This is all well and good, but I don't really enjoy it as much as I did cycling, I miss the speed.

So after a melt-down where I almost refused to go to Steve's Bike MS team picnic I have decided that getting a trike is most likely the thing to do.

I am going to go on Friday and pick between the Catrike 700 and the Expedition as I am not sure which one I want. I looked a bit last year as well but in the end I was to embarassed to go for it.

So....I may be able to bike again. As long as I can get over myself!

Comment

Hi everyone!

I'm so excited to share that I've been accepted to run in the New York City Marathon as part of the National MS Society's "Race to Stop MS" team! I'm so excited/humbled/scared to have this opportunity! It's my first marathon and my first time in NYC! Not a bad way to see it, huh?

The race is November 2, 2014 so I'll start training towards the end of May/early June. I'm just too excited and needed to share it with y'all I'm sure I'll be keeping you updated on my training!

Take care,

Kristen

Comment

Such good news, Kristen. Good luck with the training and keep us posted.

Marinadca, a trike is a great bike. Enjoy it. I'm aiming to be able to use one although I feel like I'd need 4 wheels!

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

They have those too!

http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKE-CTCAT4.html

Comment

Marina, so happy to see you're back!!! You are the 3rd person I know to get a 3 wheeler in the last 4 weeks. I'm thinking 3 wheelers are becoming a new trend among the fitness set, or at least those maybe with some stability issues hoping to get/stay fit. Two of those people got hand crank 3 wheelers, one of them didn't want to talk about it because he felt it was a little over the top somehow, maybe cost wise, but I'm going to pursue that and let you all know where it came from. PS: I steered my wife toward a Ruby, the salesman did the rest, she loves it!

Kristen, congrats on getting into the NY Marathon! Personally I think you've got a great attitude towards it. Jumping from a 1/2 to a full marathon, in New York no less , deserves more than a little respect. I'm really looking forward to following your training. I assume you have a training plan, have you thought about a coach? You know, Miles and Trials just completed Boston again!

TM, I had you in mind when I talked to another MSer who had just gotten a hand crank 3 wheel bike. It may have been at least partially custom. 3 wheelers aren't quite mainstream yet, not only does it make them expensive but some of the newer options you see in 2 wheelers are pretty hard to find in 3 wheelers. There is a science to it but it would only matter if one intended to get pretty involved in the sport.

LW, still running, hiking? I will pick my hiking back up when I get into the hiking pole class later this month.

Pell, the Santa Fe Century is in 18 days. I'm no where near ready.

It took 4 days to recover from my last mental lapse on exercising the right way. I thought the knee would be the last thing to recover, turned out it was the legs. I think I'll write that off to age as much as MS. Haven't gotten out much this week, seemed like a bad idea in wind so strong semi's were being blown over. Maybe my mental incapacity isn't quite total yet. (I can hear what you're thinking Dave!)

AMF

Comment

New to board

I have been stalking for awhile and want to introduce myself...
                        I was diagnosed in 2006 and told by my old school neuro to quit exercising (I was running 1/2 marathons, etc), I stupidly listened and only continued to get worse until the last few years.

I started Tysabri about 2 1/2 years ago and the results have been amazing. I recently completed my first triathlon, I am planning on doing the Santa Fe Century and did the Pedal Los Pueblos last year.

Watching everyone on this board stay active and encouraging other with fitness tips has been awesome. Thank you for helping me understand that MS doesn't have to stop me, I can continue doing what I loved to do and am actually better because of it.

I was hoping to do the Pedal los Pueblos again this year, alas...I am Active Duty and the Air Force is sending me to Alabama during that time, however I think I will do the Alabama MS 150!

Keep up your hard work and I look forward to getting more tips

Comment

@AF PA - Welcome! Glad you're here!

@AMF - I just bought a new walking stick and a "Kool Tie" from REI. Time to inventory all my summer heat management doo-da's.

I'm still walking and hiking, averaging 1.5 miles. I struggle with taking a day off from walking, the weather here has been delightful. My doc and I are still trying to figure out what's causing all the joint pain. I'm off the statin meds for 3 weeks to see if that helps but ya' know parts just start to wear out after a while.

Yoga, Tai Chi Chuan and stretching are my foundation for everything I do and my remedies for those times I overdo it.

I'm looking to replace my bike, so I read with great interest everyone's accounts of their trike purchases. I test rode one last year, but gosh it was heavy!

@Kristen - I've been told NY is an awesome race! Keep us posted on your training!

@Marinadca - You're telling my story... Let's just say we're really good at rebounding. Melt-downs allowed.

Keep moving everyone!

...\O/...
                          Liv__Well
                          ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

I am your wife will love the Ruby.... she is a great bike I am a bit sad to see her just hanging there. I am not sure I am ready to sell yet, though I don't think I will ever get back on her.

I go this afternoon for me test drive!

Comment

Wind

Marina- I hope you find a bike that works for you. I have a Ruby as well and love it.
                              Larry- You are a bit crazy but if we don't push, we don't get stronger. The Santa Fe century is looming. The next weekend is the Horsey. We are training for it. We rode 40 miles on Friday and 50 miles yesterday in the wind. That may have been one of the hardest rides ever- no fun. Mike did it so I am hopeful he is on the road to recovery. If it is windy, I will never make the 104 miles of the Horsey.
                              AF PA- welcome and good luck with the Alabama 150. I truly think exercise is a vital part of our treatment.
                              Kristen- Congratulations on the NYC marathon. That is amazing.
                              Hills continue to be my nemesis. I think half the problem is mental. I am also doing something to my hip- probably tensing up too much and not keeping good form. Today is yoga and no bike riding. The garden needs to be cleaned up and tilled, so not exactly a rest day.
                              Pell

Comment

Nice job all! I recently found myself on top of the podium two weekends in a row at my first two mountain bike races ever. And here I thought I wasn't good at it!

@ Larry - road food takes some extra consideration. I don't know the diet you're keeping, but I try to compensate with lots of fruit. I try to tote a cooler and feed myself out of the grocery store when possible, which leaves me just eating out for dinner. If you're staying in hotels, you can get pretty creative with that waffle maker griddle for breakfast, too. Watch out on that overtraining, and keep the rubber side down MSers

Comment

Working...
                                X