No announcement yet.

2010 Bike Ms Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little annoyed. I haven't been on my bike since the ride. I've been busy and haven't been able to, but I really need to get back on...the weight loss part of the journey is calling.

Wow, AMF. You did a great job Monday! I probably would have called for the ride while I enjoyed Starbuck's air conditioning. :-)

Comment

Tanya, please, you're so strong! You blew me away on day one. Our main goal was not to stop too long at the rest stops because then I would have been done for the day. A little airconditioning in the SAG wagon got me up that big hill right before the finish. BTW, why do they do that? Big challange right before the end?

I'm thinking about lowering my seat just a bit. When I'm riding, I feel great but I notice that my balance and coordination get sort of wonky. I had my mentor with me for the ride and he was great at stopping, putting his bike down and running over to help me off. This ride coming up, I won't have him so I'm thinking an inch lower will help me not spaz out and fall down. What do you guys think? I think when I get stronger I'll be OK.

I'm looking forward to getting stronger and faster. I have to brag a little - my top average speed before the ride was 10.8. My average speed for the ride, 11.8. I think it was the excitement of being in a ride but I'd also like to think I'm getting faster

Comment

Jenn,
        I doubt that lowering your seat is a good plan. It will likely cause knee pain and it will rob your legs of some of their strength.
        Can you enlist the help of someone who is riding this ride?

I often can't get off my bike when we stop. I sometimes have to find something to lean on or grass to sort of lean my bike way over and crawl out. It isn't elegant, but I can't swing my leg over the bike. I am actually getting better this year. I am holding out hope that I can get off the bike by next year.

Anyway, ask for help from someone you are riding with. You shouldn't change your bike's geometry if it is good when you are riding.

Good job on your bike speed. You are getting faster. That is great!!!

Pell

Comment

Jenn –
          Assuming your bike was properly fitted to you in the first place, adjusting things for more comfort in small increments can be a good thing, it’s just part of the process of fitting yourself to the bike. It’s also OK to experiment but Pell is right about watching for knee problems, etc. that could show up. If you adjust your seat height you’ll probably find you need to change the front/back position too.

Getting on and off the bike seems to be one of the biggest problems an MSer faces, especially when you just came up that last big hill. Sometimes I unclip and just stand over the bike for several minutes before I try to dismount, how many minutes seems to depend on how steep the hill was. Also, since my left leg is my best leg, I look for a place to stop the bike that is higher on the left side, like a curb or a slope, making the dismount quite a bit easier if not more graceful. I am slowly getting better at it, I guess it’s just practice.

Already have 10 hours for the week including 7.5 pretty tough ones. Hope to get another easy hour today and 3 tough ones tomorrow for a total of 14, then off to Tucson to see my DD’s and climb Mt. Lemmon. Will stay in contact as much as possible. Here’s the Mt. Lemmon ride, be sure to turn on the elevation scale.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united.../tucson/296941

AMF

Comment

47 mile ride

I am finally feeling a bit stronger. We did a 47 mile ride today @16 and I was okay. I still can't imagine doing this for 2 days, but at least one day seems doable. It was very cool today which helps me so much.
            AMF- your time in the saddle is impressive. I didn't ride Saturday because I didn't think I had the stamina to ride 3 days in a row. Also, Saturday was very windy- 20mph sustained winds. I will ride tomorrow but it will be a short- 25 mile- ride.
            I have been concentrating on conserving energy while riding. I have been staying tucked in behind someone most of the time. I did pull for 5 miles today, but I think we had a tail wind. I have been gearing down and spinning much more and avoiding "mashing". I have also been eating a bit more, especially during rides. ( I want to lose a bit more weight, but decided that can wait)

Pell

Comment

Metric Century

The forum is back- thanks Dave.
              I guess AMF is away with his daughter in Tucson. I can't wait for his report on Mt Lemmon.
              It is 3 weeks until my MS150 and training is ongoing. Friday I rode an easy 25 miles in anticipation of today's metric century-62 miles. I felt pretty strong for the entire ride, so I think I can do 75 miles for one day. Still concerned about that second day.....
              Tomorrow we have a 30-40 mile MS training ride. That is going to be tough. I am kind of hoping for rain...
              Anyone out there still training?

Pell

Comment

Mt. Lemmon

Well, I only got 10 hrs in last week, it was kind of a miserable end of the week and just didn't get warm enough to ride before I had to leave for Tucson on Sat. So it goes.

But this week, I managed 13.5 hrs. including the top 21 miles of Mt Lemmon in 3.5 hrs! DD drove the support vehicle with food and water for me, good thing too since water was a little scarce until near the top. DD wasn't in any shape to bike because she had just gotten out of the hospital for her medical procedure and, of course, I was toast when I finally reached the top so we referred to ourselves as gimp 1 and gimp 2 when the nice people asked about us. There should be some pics to post later, before we wove our way into the cookie shack for refreshment. (Yes, I have photographic proof of a sort!!!) Mt. Lemmon is like being on a treadmill that keeps going up and up and up. And, being Tucson, it was hot, hence the 21 miles because I started at the 4,000 ft. marker and rode 21 miles to 8,200 ft. then packed into the car for the trip back down.

I don't think I'm tough enough for Ride The Rockies yet but next week is a rest week, only need 5 hours, and the two weeks following that are the longest and hardest of the whole schedule. Might still be a chance?

We're closing in on the end Pell, sounds like you're doing great. It's always interesting to see how far one's training will carry them isn't it? I know I can't wait to find out, come what may.

AMF
                Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 05-15-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

AMF, Pell, sounds like ya'll are going to KILL IT! I can't imagine doing any of the rides ya'll are doing.

Pell, sounds like your strenght is coming back. I don't know what you did before but 47 @ 16mph sounds darn good to me.

I'm feeling a little lost. I didn't do the 64 mile ride this weekend. I just didn't want to do it by myself. I've got to get back on the bike but I guess I needed a little break. There is a ride in Lousiana in October, that I'm thinking of as a long term goal. But short term I'm nervous about the heat so I might be swimming soon. Anyway, ya'll are awesome, have a splended day!

Jenn

Comment

Jenn- Is there a shorter local ride you can tackle? You have had your break, so get back on that bike! I hear you on riding alone. If my husband isn't going, I am unlikely to ride.

Yesterday was a fast, short ride due to thunder and rain. I did get my HR up in the rush to get back to the car. Rain is forecast most of the week and next week is a "taper" week, so my training may be nearly done. I hope to get at least one more long ride in this weekend.

I am really hoping this cool weather holds. I am still waiting for my cooling vest to arrive. I am also having difficulty getting anyone associated with the local MS ride to call me back.

AMF- how many dozens of hours have you ridden your bike this week?

Pell

Comment

5/18/2010

Pell – I've got a whole hour in so far this week. The first 20 minutes was really hard and it didn't get much better after that even though the terrain was relatively flat. Apparently Mt. Lemmon put a bigger hurt on me than I thought. Only 4 more hours to go for the week, but temperatures are rising. Tucson is expecting to break 100 degrees in the imminent future, it means being on the bike by 5:00 AM and back home in the AC by 10:00. Getting caught out in 90 deg. heat would almost certainly mean a rescue call to DD. To date I don't think I've put in a total of 200 miles in any one week in spite of all the hours, not half of what the RTR will require. (Maybe I'll replace my busted spedometer in time for the final push, I'd like to know I can at least do 225 mi. with hills in a week or less.)

I'm super impressed with how your training is coming together, you've obviously done the work to get through the long rides in good shape. Who ever / how ever you put that together, from your posts, it sure seems to be working well. Right now, I'm jealous of your cool weather too. At least one of us is going to be OK.

I came across a couple of javelina the other day. The locals jumped down my throat when I referred to them as wild pigs, apparently the natives prefer to think of them as more closely related to hippopotamus. Who knew?

AMF
                      Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM.

Comment

AMF- I am sorry that the Mt Lemmon ride was so hard on you. I only rode 5.5 miles and I was done in. It sounds like your body is telling you that it would like a rest. Luckily, you have a bit of time. Enjoy your visit with your daughter and take a rest.
                        I haven't ridden since Monday due to weather and family conflicts. I hope to ride tomorrow morning and Sunday. Memorial Day weekend is our cycling club's big fundraising ride- the Horsey Hundred. I will be working rather than riding most of that weekend. The next week I guess I should rest before the ride on June 5/6.

Over 220 miles with serious hills is quite an undertaking. I have decided that I want to ride the first 75 miles for the MS, but I won't beat myself up if I end up doing a shorter 2nd day.
                        You have done an amazing job of following your training program. At this point, I think we have to listen to our bodies and do what is reasonable.

Last year I trained to run the MORE half marathon in NYC. I ran the distance the week before without a problem. That day is was nearly 90 in Central Park. I ran half the race and took myself to the first aid tent to be iced down. I was disappointed, but I knew it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck but take it easy

Pell

Comment

I am a participant, I am not a competitor.

5/22/10

Got my 5 hours for the week, an hour on Tuesday and Thursday and 3 hours today. I may have pushed a little harder than I should have because I don't feel like I've completely recovered from the previous 3 weeks, or it could just be the Tucson heat I suppose. The next two weeks should be the toughest yet.

One of the things MS has done to me is change me from being a competitor to being a participant. It was (still is??) one of the most dificult aspects of the disease to come to terms with because of my type “A”ish personality. I still have the occasional day when I feel good enough to think I could compete again, of course, at best it might last 15 or 20 minutes. I mention this because I'm trying to put together a strategy for Ride the Rockies and I know it's important to remember that I am a participant in it. Actually, in some ways, it can be kind of a relief.

What I have so far is pretty simple though still a work in progress. Overall, there are no expectations, I will simply do as much as possible. On the climbs, the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th days, keep the max heart rate below 92% and the average HR in the 80 to 85% range. Avoid bravado, don't risk blowing up especially early on. On the relatively flat days, the 3rd, 5th and 7th, find a slow group to draft with and keep an average HR in the 70% range. Consume 250 calories and a liter of water per seat hour, take short breaks as needed, avoid long breaks except possibly a late lunch towards the end of a days ride. Enjoy the ride, the scenery and the company to the fullest extent possible, and don't forget, this is a celebration of 60 years of life, even in the face of MS.

Stay healthy Pell,

AMF

Comment

Competitive tempered with realism

AMF- I am also very competitive and type A. The fact that not finishing the half-marathon didn't involve an ambulance stunned my husband. The approach you outlined sounds reasonable. There are just days that are too hot or our bodies don't want to do what we would like them to do.
                            We rode twice today- a 33 mile ride- quick stop home for a cold shower and dry clothes- and then what was supposed to be a 31 miler. My husband cramped and I was tired, so we left the group, sat and rested, and finished 23 miles. I am pretty happy with that. The second ride went out fast- we dropped at 10 miles with an 18mph ave speed. I think I could have done 31 at a slower pace. I have to remember to go out slowly and not burn up. We do have frequent rest stops so I can find shade and have a few minutes off the bike. You are right about short stops and limited food. The 250 goal for calories is probably about right. I usually burn about 500/hour of cycling. This morning I hit 97% heart rate and didn't really feel it. My fitness is definitely improving.
                            I will keep reminding myself of all of your excellent points. We are lucky to be participating, we don't need to compete.

Pell

Comment

5/26/10

Go Team! Team Rawhinies was the first to raise $25,000 in the month of May and that won us a free party at the MS 150 finish line including an air conditioned room, snacks and FREE BEER! Family and friends are welcome. Who's in?

The team was up to $92,000 and counting at last report.

Rode from Sonoita to Tombstone on Sunday. Big winds out of the South actually gave me a little push until the route turned South 6 miles before Tombstone. Wind at the top of the hills brought me to a stand still several times. It was a tough 6 miles. Cancelled my plan to continue 25 more miles to Bisbee so only ended up with about 40 in 2.5 hrs. for the day. Decided it was a good call when the radio reported 40 mph sustained winds.

Did 50 miles of hills in 3.5 hrs. today. HR hit max at least once. Hope I recover enough to put in an easy hour tomorrow. Heading back to Denver with the other DD and 3 grand kids after a quick ride on Thursday. Got it all planned to keep pedalling, we'll see.

AMF
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 05-26-2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Awesome riding

Wow- 50 miles of hills- I am impressed. Good call with shortening the ride in the heavy winds.
                                Our MS ride is west to east- usually the direction of the wind, so I can hope.
                                I finally received the cooling vest from Polar, but it doesn't have many cooling packs. I think it will last about an hour. I don't know it will be worth the hassle. I plan to start riding as early as possible each day. I will have the cooling vest at the lunch stop so I could wear it from 11-1 and hand it off at a later rest stop. The second day is pretty hilly and we are considering shorter routes. My motivation seems to be slipping. I didn't ride Monday because it was hot and I just didn't feel like riding. Two rides on Sunday may have overdone it.
                                You are doing great and so is your team. Our team has fallen apart. Our team captain has dropped the ball on all fronts. He didn't get our jersey ordered in time so we don't have jerseys. Our fundraising is way down. I am not sure I will do this again.

Pell

Comment

Working...
                                X