Clear All

2000 Miles YTD

5/29/10

15 hours this week.
    Sun. - 2.5 moderate intensity
    Mon. – off
    Tues. – 3.5 very intense
    Wed. – 1.5 easy
    Thurs. – 2 very intense (my iron man son-in-law really put me through the ringer.)
    Fri. – 0 it was hot and I was just too tired from a 15 hour drive.
    Sat. – 5.5 for 65 miles with the MS 150 team including about 1500 ft of climbing.

According to my calculations I have just passed the 2000 mile mark for the year!

Did my first ride with the MS team today. This team was founded by a group of women in their late 30’s – early 40’s, any one of whom could run a fortune 500 company in her spare time. The team is the Raw Hinies and their symbol is a pair of bull horns and if you ever met any of them, that would pretty well sum them up. They’re somewhat of a phenomenon right now, they’ve got over 190 members, including several MSers, and will undoubtedly raise over $200,000 again this year. I joined this team last year because the year before that, I hurt myself chasing a little Raw Hinie up a hill and nearly wasn’t able to finish the ride. (I love saying that). The inappropriate comments are always flying and you better believe it’s not from the men, they wouldn’t dare.

Hang in there Pell, I was feeling a little low last week, I think I'll just blame it on the heat. Stay healthy, generate a few endorphins and we should be OK. YOU get an easy week this week, good luck!

AMF

Comment

Winding down

Friday we did a rain shortened ride of 30 miles-just under 2 hours- and Saturday we did 80-5+ hours of pedaling. We have no more training rides and I think I am going to ride Wednesday very easy and take the rest of the week off the bike.
      My DH is making a lot of noise about riding 75 miles the second day. I am okay from the ride yesterday, but he is hurting and complaining.
      I received the cooling vest from Polar and I am not sure it will help me. I wore it Wednesday night and the cooling only lasted an hour. After that it was another layer and made me hotter. Wednesday wasn't a great day for me, so I am going to try it again. I think the vest-except to the cooling pockets- should be made of a mesh to allow air to move through it. The final version will be a khaki color but the prototypes are black which also makes them hotter.
      I looked back at my cycling log and I have hit 1000 miles for the season as well. We just passed 500 miles for May and had 300 miles in April and 200 in March.
      I am feeling better about my ability to cover distance and my fund raising. A couple of surprise donations came in so I am near $1000. I hope I can raise more, but I am happy with $1000. The long range forecast for next weekend is for cooler- mid 70s weather- perfect.
      Pell

Comment

Tough Enough

Wow Pell, the weather gods seem to be smiling, the funding is hitting the $1000 dollar mark and 80 miles in a little over 5 has got to be tough enough, well done!

Got to say you certainly were right about taking it a little easier a couple of weeks ago, that’s a mistake I hope never to repeat. That old guy with MS was out on the trail today. He actually walked up an overpass he usually coasts up and when he came to a fork in the road, he had to choose the path with no hills. He still got 60 miles in about 4:30 but his legs were totally shot at the end. Got 4 days to sort it out then aim for two more back to back hard rides. Well, at least the end is in sight.

Later,
        AMF
        Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 05-31-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

AMF, Pell, it sounds like you guys are doing really well. LOVE the name Raw Hinies - too funny and totally relatable! Pell, I'm so glad your fundraising is up and sounds like you've been training hard.

When's the race? I'll check back periodiacally on you guys. You're such an inspiration.

Since we've hit 98 degrees here, I think I'm done on the bike outside, it's time to get stronger, leaner and prepare for the fall.

Good luck with the race, may the wind be at your back, the weather be mild and the miles race by. You are an inspiration and I thank you.

Jenn

Comment

Very nice sentiment Jenn, thank you. Your stronger and leaner fitness plan sounds like the perfect way to deal with the Houston heat and humidity too.

Early on you mentioned wanting to know about other bike rides. Well, I just received notice of the "El Tour de Tucson" in November. Tucson's nice in November and although it's a Century ride, there really aren't any hills to speak of and it's one of the best run rides I've ever had the pleasure of doing.
            http://www.perimeterbicycling.com/!ETT/ETThome.html

Thanks Jenn,

AMF

Comment

May the wind be always at your back

Good luck on your ride this weekend Pell, enjoy and stay safe and may the wind be always at your back.

AMF

Comment

Thanks so much AMF and Jenn. Your support, encouragement and advice has been invaluable. We rode last night but I took it easy. Actually, it was hot when we started, so I didn't have much choice. The first 8 miles were @ 14.3 and we finished at 15.5 once it cooled off.
                I am so glad the ride is in 2 days and it will soon be over. The weather is warmer than the long range forecast predicted and storms are also forecast, but it will be okay. I was very pleased to ride 80 miles in the heat on Saturday and still function after the ride. Often I just go to bed.

I actually have some new training goals once this is over. Jenn, have you read the new rules of lifting for women? I am going to start lifting next week. On Tuesdays, a testosterone free ride is starting with a focus on riding technique, shifting, conditioning, etc.

Good luck AMF with your rides. Thank you so much for your contribution. I couldn't figure out who you were until I saw the email. Your rides must be coming up soon.
                Pell

Comment

As ready as we are going to be

We have everything packed and are off to bed. Up tomorrow at 4:30 to catch the shuttle to Churchill Downs. I hope we can start cycling before too late. Apparently there are photos, etc before we ride. I guess that is part of the excitement. I will be watching the mercury climb and wishing we were on the road.
                  I am taking the latest edition of the cooling vest from Polar. They are going to take it to the lunch stop for me. I imagine I will be glad to see it at that point in the day. It is now forecast to be 89.
                  In 48 hours we will be home and the ride will be over.
                  Pell

Comment

That was a LOT of training

18 hours for 242 miles this week, so that’s it, the training is over. It will be interesting to see just how far all of that training … and that was a LOT of training … will get an old MSer. Oddly, I’m more comfortable with the climbing than with the mileage now.

“Ride the Rockies” starts June 13th and runs through June 19th. It’s 7 straight days, 532 miles, and 27,000 feet of ascent. My local MS 150 is the week after, June 26th and 27th.

Hope you’re enjoying your ride Pell, I’m anxious to hear how it went.

Wishing for cool weather,

AMF

Comment

MS 150 Churchill Downs to Keeneland is history

I did it- 77 miles and 3500 ft ascent on day 1 and 75 miles and 4600 ft ascent on day 2. Day 1 was really hot- the thermometer on my bike computer said 100.1. Somehow, I stayed really strong. I kept pulling away from our group, especially on hills. Day 2 was another story. I felt good and the first 20 miles or so were fine. Then I was hit with marked fatigue. Then the cold rain and the headwind started. Actually, the temperature drop helped me to become a bit stronger which I definitely needed with the wind and the hills. Several times, I considered cutting the route short, but I didn't. It was tempting because 3 times we were within a few miles of Keeneland and then the route went away from the finish.
                      Anyway, I did it. I developed left ulnar weakness yesterday and today it was difficult to change chainrings. I am hoping that resolves with a bit of rest. Wondering why I didn't take tomorrow off....
                      AMF, I can't image all the climbing you will be doing in a week. I hope you have fun but remember to listen to your body and take it easy when you need to. Today satisfied my hill quotient for some time. The MS ride will be a piece of cake for you. Good luck and be safe.
                      Pell

Comment

Wahoooooo - Pell, congratulations! What a wonderful feeling to be done, and to have done so well. I hope the ulnar weakness is better after some rest too. I haven't seen New rules of lifting for women, I'll have to check it out. Weight loss and getting stronger are my goals for the summer (reached 100 degrees here this weekend) and that would really help me out.

AMF, sounds like you're doing really well and I can't imagine the hills. My mentor told me that one day, I'll look differently at hills, more of a challange, but now, today, I look at them like torture

Good luck with Ride the Rockies and the MS150!

Jenn

Comment

Congratulations

Very impressive Pell, I had no idea your ride included so much vertical and in the face of that kind of heat too. That is quite an accomplishment for anyone, MS or not. My heart felt congratulations to you.

And thanks for the good wishes and again to all of you for doing this. It has certainly encouraged me to keep going and it’s been an enjoyable, rewarding journey.

AMF

Comment

Countdown

25th Annual Ride the Rockies, June 13th through June 19th. 7straight days, 532 miles, 27,000 feet of ascent.

Cleaned, lubed and tuned the bike, changed the training tires for road tires and installed a new chain, bottom bracket and an 11 – 28 rear cassette. At least the bikes ready!!!!!
                            Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Good luck, AMF

It sounds like you and your bike are ready. You will do great. Just attempting this ride is amazing and you have certainly trained for it.
                              Remember to enjoy the scenery and celebrate your successes, even if you don't meet every goal.
                              On my Sunday ride, my DH didn't ride and I actually enjoyed that ride more than I expected. Once I got over the insecurity, I found that I paid more attention to the scenery and wasn't as cranky. I couldn't snipe at my teammates like I can at my DH, so was actually in a better mood most of the ride. (I did get a bit testy about riding in the cold downpour instead of taking cover.)
                              Are you riding with anyone who knows your situation? You might want to confide in someone, just in case.
                              Have a great ride and have fun. You are a participant- congratulations.
                              Pell

Comment

Miscellaneous Crappola

Thanks Pell, funny no matter how well we train, we never seem to be confident with our ability, human nature I suppose. Although I’ve only mentioned the demon by name to fellow MSers, Docs and DW, anybody who’s spent more than 20 minutes with me knows I’m some kind of gimp. That and an ability to shamelessly get what I need has always gotten me through. Interesting about that sniping comment, I tend to do that too.

I have a couple of questions for you regarding your ride. First, did you use the cooling vest and if so, what are your thoughts? Second, did you have anything left at the end of the ride? Third, what was your impression of NMSS’s general organization of the ride? I’m curious because I share your opinion on comments you’ve made to the extent I volunteered my time hoping to be able to help with some of the shortcomings I perceive.

For what it’s worth, here’s some random stuff I’ve been sitting on:
                                Been spending time at altitude as much as possible, don’t see how it can hurt. Came across a bear last week. Bear probably saw me first though cause it was hightailing it through the forest when I cycled by.

A worried DW told me I looked like hell this morning, red puffy eyes, gaunt, haggard. At a restaurant later with DD and the GK’s, waitress mistook me for DD’s husband. Going to go with the waitress on this one.

Carb loading like crazy, on the “See Food, Eat It” diet. Down to my old college grad weight, haven’t been this low in 40 years.

Cycling buddy Dx’ed with A-Fib a couple of weeks ago, almost backed out of the ride. Dropped his pace a bit, stopped pulling into every Starbucks he came across and seems to have it under control now. Should work in both of our favors, keep him safer and keep us closer together on the ride.

Ready or not,
                                AMF
                                Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X