INPUT NEEDED: MIT students want to build a better cooling vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INPUT NEEDED: MIT students want to build a better cooling vest

The other day I had a Zoom call with a team of student researchers at MIT who are brainstorming ideas for a better cooling vest for MSers. They are currently deep in the design phase (no prototypes have been built yet) and they are seeking input from MSers and others who could benefit from cooling.

I gave them lots of suggestions and guidance, but more would be helpful. They are looking at building a lightweight powered active vest (one that maintains temperatures) that would set a new benchmark in cooling. Better yet, they are looking at cost efficiencies to keep it affordable. I also told them it had to look fashionable. I mean, we have might a disease, but we still have a desire to look sexy.

What would you like to see in a perfect cooling vest??? MIT wants to know!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

too heavy

I've used many cooling vests; all have been so heavy that my shoulders ache. also, the parts that don't contain the cooling packets do not allow air to circulate, making me hotter.

Comment

Temperature

They need to cool to 52-degrees like most packs. I've used a few vests. Maybe because I'm a big guy, (6'3" 280#); but, the ones that only cool to 70ish is NOT enough.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely pass this along. For a lightweight vest, Thermapparel makes our top recommendations. Leslie, you may want to check them out.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Heard back from MIT the other day. Good news, bad news.

We wanted to give you an update since it's been awhile since we last spoke. Having looked into the ThermApparel vest and the one on Alibaba that we showed you, we're not sure that we can improve on weight and duration significantly. We bought the Alibaba one and have been trying it for a bit. It doesn't last as long as we thought it might, so we're not confident that our design would last long enough to not be a hassle.

Given the challenges with designing a significantly better cooling product and the wide range of cooling gear already out there, we're looking into why people, particularly in industries like construction or solar, haven't been using them. So for this summer, we won't be producing a new vest which is a bit of a departure from our original plans. Still, we appreciate you taking the time to talk to us and giving us feedback on our designs.
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
          X