ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > General

Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Optimistic Misfit

Default Braces

Hello group,

I need to see if I can indulge you for some opinion.

I have been doing some research on assistive walking devices (ie) braces to help with my foot drop and balance.

Can someone share what brace/assistive device works best for them?

On a separate note...(soap box time) I am very appreciative for sites such as this.

I live in the Niagara Region (Ontario, Canada) and I have been very unimpressed with the direction and support that I have received.

I have found that the actual clinician's that I have been involved with (Neurologist's) are quick to provide a (take this pill) type of answer but no one has been able to provide direction (ie) go see this person for this, use this device if you need this. My GP is great and the MS Society does a bunch of good things but I have not come across a great resource for all the MS stuff that you need.

Any feedback out there or is this just me?

(RRMS/PPMS) originally diagnosed Mar 2006)

Side Note....Dave...keep up the excellent work! This site is a huge help
Old 09-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Default Sources of info

Hi, I'm from Canada too (rural BC) and relate to your resource issue. One great source I have found is MS Views and News. They have some great youtube videos capturing talks by neurologists. Usually need to skip the first 7-10 min of intros and housekeeping but most of the talks are pretty good. Also on youtube are some talks put out by OhioHealth which I found valuable.

Sorry can't help you on the braces front, or on the actually accessing any specific local help.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Thanks hscott72. I appreciate the references. I will check them out
Old 09-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Optimistic Misfit

I use the Bioness L300 electronic stimulator to deal with my foot drop. It can be a nuisance to use, sometimes, but it's very effective helping me to walk. Check their web site: www.bioness.com. It's expensive to buy, however, and isn't covered by most insurance policies in the U.S.

Also…my Tuesday column, The MS Wire, which appears on the www.multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com web site, this week tells a story about a woman who uses a carbon fiber brace, technical name: Ankle-Foot Orthotic (AFO), to run marathons. You might want to check it out.

BTW, carbon fiber braces are lighter, more durable and more comfortable than the standard plastic brace. They're custom fitted and that makes a big difference. You should check with an orthotist about any brace that you might be considering.

Ed
Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Ed,

That is exactly what I am looking for. I will check out the websites. Thanks again
Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

Default AFO, Shoes, Etc, correct place to ask?

Related Questions to braces. I will ask them here and if not the correct place, let me know. thanks.

In PT, they used bioness. Way cool technology.

In everyday life, I use an AFO on my left foot.

Question, any suggestions on the best shoe companies that carry proper support, comfort, accomadates the AFO, and has decent style?

I am having funky circulation issues, vascular issues.

I have one pair of shoes, Keens, I lovingly named them "Claudes".

I would love to find a dress shoe.

Related: economical cute light compression socks?

I guess some of this is about economical resources for these things.

Related, sort of: Anybody have experience with a gait trainer at home? If so, is it helpful?

okay,
Thanks, Connie
Old 12-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Misfit

For compression socks, you might look at "Sockwell" on amazon. Fairly easy to put on and off, nice colorful stripe patterns, don't look "medical." About $25/pair, and come in different sizes and compression levels.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:25 PM
MS Master

I like these light compression socks, but not sure if it hits your stylish request
http://www.buckandbuck.com/womens-fo...are-socks.html
Old 12-09-2016, 04:38 PM
MS Master

Jjmagpin,
I think you hit the nail on the head about neuros not being too helpful in the day to day living with MS. I felt better about my expectations after I did an attitude adjustment and framed the neuro's role to stop an acute attack and prescribe DDM. I liken it to the pediatrician can't really help you raise your child and guide you every step of the way. You got to experiment and overall you'll make good choices.
That said, I too struggle to find helpful resources. But suggestions above by poster to watch dr videos is a great one. Do make sure the dr isn't trying to sell you snake oil. I found a few of those. And of course websites like Ed's and this forum are invaluable for mining ideas, moral support, and sharing. Thank you Dave.

So if you find a gem out on the internet or in your day to day travels, be sure to share with us...I'm always looking for ways to make my quality of life better.....
Old 12-10-2016, 09:07 PM
MS Sage

I recently (thanks to Dave posting the event), attended a seminar given by the MS Foundation. They offer grants for practical help for people living with MS. They're based in Florida but outreach across the country. Their pamphlet mentions grant$ for assistive technology, home modifications and short term in-home care.

There were three speakers at the event, a neurologist a PT and the program manager for a local MS wellness center. The food was good too! 😋

...\O/...
Liv__Well
..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Tags
afo, fes