ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Gear

Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Default AFO for running longer disances?

I am still training away for my Ironman in 34 days, but who's counting. I have a noodle AFO in a slight down position( plantarflextion?) for biking and a blue rocker for running. I am just coming in from my 3 hour run- I can go about 2 hours then it feels like someone is whacking the middle of my shin with a 2x4. I would hate to think I would get 1/2 or 3/4 way through the marathon and have to stop because of pain. I just went through a 3 day iv steroid treatment last week and now I have too much feeling in my leg. Maybe numb was better- but I digress.
Does anyone have any ideas suggestions? I have been back to the brace guy so many times he is out of ideas.
Thanks Jill

Last edited by sulgrifjewls; 06-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
MS Yoda

Right, who's counting Jill.

Anyway, although I'm not a runner, I had one thought on the shin pain which is to tape it up a little (or a lot) either before the pain starts or when it starts. Athletic tape helps me with my curling toes and hotspots on my foot from my cycling shoes. If I knew how to tape up a weak ankle, I'd try that too.

How many hours a week are you putting in now anyway? Good luck, whatever happens.

Larry
Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Hi Larry,
I have tried more padding less padding, side padding. Nothing works for long.
Anyway I didn't really know how long my work outs were each week, but I use a online service , training peaks, anyway they keep a total.
Man was I impressed no wonder I am tired and eat all the time. Between 18 - 20 hours a week.
Last week I went to Placid for a training weekend and that week I biked 165 miles and ran 28.5 miles and swam about 4.5 miles. Usually the biking is slightly less miles.
32 more days, if I survive.
I am really worried about the shin pain though my coach wants me to just aqua jog for a while.
Talk about boring running no where in a pool.
I know keep my eye on the prize.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Hi Jill,

You're in the home stretch! I am really excited for you. You can do this.

I don't run with a brace, so I don't have a lot of insight on that, but I can tell you that if you aqua jog (as boring as it is), you won't lose fitness. So if your shin needs a rest, aqua jogging might be a really good idea for a few days.

Does your shin hurt badly when you walk? Wondering if you did a run/walk combo, you could delay the 2x4 effect. In other words, instead of running for 2 hours straight, do a 1-2 minute walk every 10 minutes.