ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Default STUDY: Does the Wii video game help with balance? Hmm

Balance exercise for persons with multiple sclerosis using Wii games: a randomised, controlled multi-centre study

Ylva E Nilsagård1,4
Anette S Forsberg2
Lena von Koch3
1Centre for Health Care Sciences, Örebro County Council, Sweden
2Family Medicine Research Centre, Örebro County Council, Sweden.
3Division of Neurology, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden.
4School of Health and Medical Sciences, Örebro University, Sweden.
Ylva Nilsagård, Centre for Health Care Sciences, Örebro County Council, P.O. Box 1324, SE- 701 13 Örebro, Sweden.

Abstract

Background: The use of interactive video games is expanding within rehabilitation. The evidence base is, however, limited.
Objective: Our aim was to evaluate the effects of a Nintendo Wii Fit® balance exercise programme on balance function and walking ability in people with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Methods: A multi-centre, randomised, controlled single-blinded trial with random allocation to exercise or no exercise. The exercise group participated in a programme of 12 supervised 30-min sessions of balance exercises using Wii games, twice a week for 6–7 weeks. Primary outcome was the Timed Up and Go test (TUG). In total, 84 participants were enrolled; four were lost to follow-up.

Results: After the intervention, there were no statistically significant differences between groups but effect sizes for the TUG, TUGcognitive and, the Dynamic Gait Index (DGI) were moderate and small for all other measures. Statistically significant improvements within the exercise group were present for all measures (large to moderate effect sizes) except in walking speed and balance confidence. The non-exercise group showed statistically significant improvements for the Four Square Step Test and the DGI.

Conclusion: In comparison with no intervention, a programme of supervised balance exercise using Nintendo Wii Fit® did not render statistically significant differences, but presented moderate effect sizes for several measures of balance performance.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:19 AM
Banned

I have not tried Wii games yet, As I have come to know in this forum that these games which compels someone to dance while playing will obviously help MS, so i am greatly interested and wanna start playing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:34 PM
MS Whisperer

Hey all, I love Wii. I Do use balance board and "sports" games that require arm movements. I play with my kids occassionally. Unfortunately wii was discontinued. (I would expect a real gamer to know this - so I throw it out there for all you non-gamers. Also, as far as cool factor, Wii is well not ) But Good news is that if interested in awesome balance board technigy, you can still find used wii games/ consoles pretty cheap at local Gameshop or on Ebay. Look for balance board and games or wii fitness games that use it. The controllers and nunchucks will encourage range of motion and movement. I've picked up quite a few fitness wii games at local charity thrift. My local charity usually has 1 or 2 wii consoles available for sale.

Tags
balance study, exercise study