ABQ: Volunteers needed for cooling study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABQ: Volunteers needed for cooling study

I’m paraphrasing here, but some famous dude once said, “Ask not what your MS community can do for you; ask what you can do for your MS community.” What I am trying to say is that MS research can’t happen without volunteers, and only a handful (i.e., not enough) responded to my earlier e-mail call for a cutting-edge cooling study being conducted at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.

It’s easy to sit back, prop your legs up, and wait for the results, but the study won’t move forward if everyone takes that attitude. There are no experimental drugs to take, no lives at risk, no puppies harmed. It’s just a bit of exercise, a cool dip, and a probe that will make a good bar story. If you qualify, I urge you to consider volunteering—the MS community worldwide will benefit from your participation.

VOLUNTEER: We are looking for 1) adults (over 18 yrs old) who are mildly to moderately affected with relapsing-remitting MS as diagnosed by a neurologist. They must be individuals afflicted with MS who experience a temporary worsening of symptoms when body temperature increases due to ambient conditions or physical activity, ie they are "heat sensitive". Patients will have to be ambulatory and capable of performing the screening tests and moderate exercise.

To sign up or get more info, contact researchers Ian Power : iapower@salud.unm.edu or Glen Adkins : WAdkins@salud.unm.edu or Christine Mermier, PhD CMermier@salud.unm.edu or 272-2658. Deadline: ASAP.

Thanks guys, and to those who volunteer, I owe you one,
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I just got the below e-mail. Little help, guys?

Hi Dave,
    We are nearing time to start the testing, and we are in need of a few more volunteers. I have run into no response or cancellations several times from UNM's Neurology dept. Thanks,
    Ian
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Two more folks signed up. Thanks! Just a couple more volunteers and there will be enough for the study. Woo-hoo!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Ack, a couple people have dropped! I just got the following e-mail:

Hi Dave- We have 6 subjects for our cooling study here at UNM, and would love to get about 4 more people. Any leads on some folks who are heat sensitive and can spare about 8 hours over 3 days?

Seriously, we need some serious help or this won't happen. If you qualify, PLEASE consider doing this....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Bumped to the top...
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
          X