PORTLAND, OR: Travel advice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PORTLAND, OR: Travel advice??

I'm heading there in August for a little R&R with Laura (she's turning 40) and was wondering if folks had some advice for us. We are interested in the coast, wineries, light hikes, brew pubs, museums, you name it. Thanks in advance!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I did a short winery visit there a few years back. What I remember most was that the area had quite a few Pinot Noir's. I've only found a few Pinot Noir's I like, a couple of them there. I'd say, if you find one you really like , get a case on the spot because you won't find it anywhere else. 2008 seems to have been a good year for California wines, maybe Oregon too?

They also had some very pleasant al Fresco cafe's, a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning. And of course, the seafood's fantastic, I mean it is on the coast (unlike Denver and Albuquerque)!

You'll love it,

Comment

And one more, I had to call DD to get this one, The International Rose Test Garden. Beautiful kind of botanic garden/park. I got enough hiking in around there to last me a couple of days.

Comment

Thanks AMF! We just got reservations for a dinner at some pinot noir festival and we'll also be driving along the coast. Portland is on the agenda for at least a few nights. Mmmm brewpubs....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

I'm leaving soon, so thought I would bump this up....
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Gads, I guess the proliferation of MS in the NW is one big rumor. Or folks living there are unbelievably shy.

Look for a smiling guy walking around your neck of the woods with forearm crutches...
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Welcome to Oregon. I live in Central OR and most often go to eastern OR for camping. Newport has a wax museum and sea lion caves are nearby. Tillamook cheese factory has tours and fantastic ice cream. There is Lewis & Clark history in the NW corner of OR. McMinnvile has the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum which houses the Spruce Goose and many, many more planes. Wish I could be more help. If you get time come on over to central Or. We have wonderful mountains and lakes. A lift ride to the top of Mt. Bachelor gives a great view. You can have memorable times most anywhere in OR. Happy Birthday to Laura. Knitnride

Comment

Thanks knitnride! Central Oregon will have to come later. We thought about it but it was just too much to do, so we are saving it for another trip.
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

I have returned and have lots of catching up to do. Laundry, shopping, and celebrating my own b-day. So I'll have to fill you in on the excitement later, but I will say the "Goose" was awesome.
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Welcome back Dave. Glad to hear you and your wife had a great time and happy belated birthday!

Comment

Working...
                    X