Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdnturbo
    replied
    Walkaide now have fabric electrodes. I've had them for three weeks now and find them much easier to use than the gel electrodes. The fabric one cost twice as much so hopefully they will last twice as long

Leave a comment:

• cdnturbo
    replied
    Walkaide

I bought a walkaide today. I tried the Bioness for 3 weeks and then the Walkaide for 2 weeks.
    Both worked well, but I preferred the Walkaide.
    Not having to charge every night and only one piece instead of three.
    The only thing I preferred on the Bioness were the electrodes. They are cloth rather than gel. If the cuff gets itchy you can wiggle it around on the Bioness, but on the walkaide it is stuck to you.
    I'm going to Europe in a couple of weeks and hope to give it a real good test.
    Phil

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    I met the Albuquerque reps for WalkAide at the most recent MS walk, so it appears we'll get together for an evaluation. Still haven't heard from Bioness despite an e-mail and conversations on Twitter. Puzzled.

Leave a comment:

• tonyfitz
    replied
    Tried both

I have tried both the Walkaid and Bioness in a clinic and at home for a week or so. about two yrs ago. I don't have MS but do have spasticity from a CHT 30 yrs post.
    Form factor for Walkaid is more appealing as the unit is self contained.
    Bioness had a more "elegant" response curve and the remote allowed more control.
    Replicating the result in the clinic was difficult as I could never get the electrodes back on the right spot, even though I marked them on my leg with a marker.

Leave a comment:

• Toddjoy
    replied
    Worth the fight

Hi,
    I have had my Walkaide for about a year and a half. It is such an incredible device. I tested it at my neurologists office with a Rep from Innovative Neurotronics. It did take some time to get it adjusted correctly. Once it was it was such a blessing. We promptly sent a request to United Healthcare and was quickly rejected. We went thru the first appeal gathering all the necessary info requested and was rejected again. We went to the second appeal and did the same and was rejected yet again. The third and final appeal was to an agency outside United Healthcare. They quickly returned a positive result and I was given a Walkaide. I can't imagine what I would be using if I didn't get it.
    I would recommend going thru the doctors office. It worked for me.
    Last edited by Toddjoy; 10-04-2013, 05:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    Originally posted by Sheryl View Post
    I was about in tears as I was walking around with the device on in minutes after calibrating it to my foot.
    Sheryl, I had to read that twice, ha. At first I thought it was so painful it triggered tears, and then I read you wanted to be a rep. Heck, call them and ask them. What do you have to lose? They also may need spokespeople to give talks in communities. There may be some opportunities there. So glad you joined us!

Leave a comment:

• Sheryl
    replied
    Hi MSers,

I have MS and a worsening foot drop and was thrilled to watch the youtube video of the Walk Aide in action and promptly made an appt. with Hanger. I was about in tears as I was walking around with the device on in minutes after calibrating it to my foot. The worst part is the wait I've experienced since then.

I would call Hanger, leave messages, and receive no return calls. Finally after two months of eagerness I have my fitting appointment on the 14th. It is coming just in time as my foot is weaker and causes me to trip all the time. I think they need to train more technicians and somehow speed up the insurance approval process. I had to quit my job 9 years ago because of the fatigue with MS and now would be interested in learning to be a technican myself if I could help even one person receive help from this device sooner.
    Sheryl

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    Sorry for the delay, Biddy58, I missed this. No, it does not help for rolling ankles, just foot drop. For rolling ankles, you'll want a brace with hard sides that closes tight with Velcro. I used one for months and it was very helpful. Here's an example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Active-Ankle-T...ds=ankle+brace

MeredithRX, welcome to the forum! The cost without insurance is around $4500.

Leave a comment:

• MeredithRX
    replied
    Just out of curiosity, what is the price of this product? Or price-range even.

Leave a comment:

• biddy58
    replied
    walkaide

is this device likely to help ankles from rolling to the side or just foot drop

Leave a comment:

• Plgollner
    replied
    Walk Aide

I have had a Walk Aide for over two years, totally awesome and has changed my life dramatically thanks to Hanger! The walk aide recently malfunctioned, found it had to be replaced, I can not live without it, so I will be purchasing another one. Just a reminder that the purchase is not forever, they carry a two year warranty, my first one lasted 27 months. Expensive...yes, but a huge improvement in quality of life.

Patty

Leave a comment:

• MSandme
    replied
    WalkAide

I have had the WalkAide for about 5 months now and I am very disappointed with it! When I first saw the product I was taken by it and wanted my Neurologist to look into it to see if I could possibly have one, and so she did and I was very excited to go to my appointment and pick one up.
    The machine work for about a week or so and I had to go back to Hanger to let them know something wasn't working right. So a few more adjustments were made and I said to myself "ok it should work now". "WRONG!" It lost it's setting yet again and again and again. I am done with it! It may work for some people but not for me. Money down the drain!

Leave a comment:

• Merganser
    replied
    I can chime in on the WalkAid. I had a 3-month trial starting in June. It took a lot of fiddling, but it finally worked well enough to purchase it. Unfortunately, my insurance program will not allow it for MS patients, just people with spinal cord injury (isn't an MS lesion on the spinal cord an "injury"?).

So, I'm out of pocket a large chunk of change, but I don't regret it. While I still can walk, I'm going to make it the best experience. What I've found is that it makes walking easier, even when it's not on my leg. Last week I started out on my morning walk and it took me over a block to realize I'd forgotten to put it on!

I've gotten used to the sensation. Every so often I get a very sharp pulse, but it goes away fast. Most of the time I don't even notice it. The only time it's annoying is when I'm standing still and it fires repeatedly. My leg must move slightly, or it's adjusted wrong. It's time to go back to make sure it's adjusted OK anyway.

All in all, I'm ecstatic about the device.

Susan

Leave a comment:

• 14Fan
    replied
    Rosie,

I completely understand. I just finished a three week trial with the WalkAid. The first appointment I had at Hanger, the CO couldn't get the unit to consistently lift my foot. I had to wait another month before I could go back and have a second CO assist. The two of them got the unit to work pretty good. The very next day, I rolled my ankle and ended up with a very bad sprain. (Just my luck!)

I then had issues dealing with the sensation of the STIMs. There were times if felt like an ice pick stabbing a raw nerve. (Another member experienced the same feeling.) After few days, I was bound and determined to "get used" to it no matter what. I found that I did get used to it. Sometimes after setting for a while, the first few STIMs can be somewhat "sharp". Once I take a few steps in a row, the sensation dulls.

I had to return the WalkAid yesterday and truly miss it. I have instructed Hanger to submit a PreCertification to my Insurance Company for the WalkAid. I am hoping they will cover 80%. It's still going to be a chunk of change for me to cover. (My 20% plus my deductible.) I don't have that kind of money just lying around, but I think it's worth cost. Once I get the unit, I plan on working with a PT that has experience working with the WalkAid to regain a more natural gait.

Since using the WalkAid, I have found I don't have pain in my right hip and I don't get muscle cramps in my left calf every night while I am sleeping. (My left leg has foot drop.)

I hope the CO at Hanger can get the unit to work for you! I would love to hear back from you that it helps make walking easier. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Take care,

Susan

Leave a comment:

• policefan1982
    replied
    I have not been able to replicate successful trial with the sales Rep (Walk Aid) with the Hanger clinic tech. It bzzz at the right time, but minimal response from my leg. I need to make decision quickly, but frustrating to know it COULD and SHOULD work, but settings are not right. Left message for sales rep yesterday, but no response. Another appt Friday wit h Hanger person that does one or two set ups a month. Frustrating
    Rosie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X