Wheelchair glove solution for rainy, cold climates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelchair glove solution for rainy, cold climates

I have a challenge that perhaps you can help me with. As an MSer for 15+ years I am very committed to staying independent. I rely on my wheelchair to get me around and cold wet weather is a fact of life where I live. I have looked all over for a good pair of gloves, that are really warm, absolutely water proof and maintain their ability to grip my wheelchair wheel rims even when the palm and fingers on the gloves get wet. I have tried many different brands of gloves and some are waterproof and even warm but as soon as they get wet they lose their ability to grip.. Can you help? All the best, Jay
    I presented this question to Paul Speight, former captain of the New Zealand Paralympic ski team. He knows the issue well, and there are zero traditional options. His solution: scuba gloves. They come in different thicknesses to help with cold, grip really well when wet, and can be washed and cleaned easily. Add a small liner for comfort. Bingo! Not the perfect solution, but damn near close.

FYI, Paul runs Spokes 'n Motion, a leading store for adaptive sports equipment, and where I bought my new handcycle (and got to trial the Mountain Trike all-terrain wheelchair!). Thanks Paul!

http://www.spokesnmotion.com/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers
Working...
X