Question on crutches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on crutches...

Hi, all. This is new to me. No final diagnosis yet but I think they are leaning toward Guillain-Barre. (May not progress, may not get better.) Either way I can't walk unassisted for long and I'm looking for some forearm crutches; I read the review. I am mostly interested in hiking and travel/ being able to walk long city blocks, etc. Anyone have experience with Ossenberg lightweight foldable carbon fiber forearm crutches or with Kowsky? I'm wondering if the foldables are deceptively convenient. Also, I've already had overuse injuries in my wrists and thumbs for years (ulnar entrapment, De Quervain's tenosynovitis) so the ergonomic piece in the grip is important. I wasn't sure how the SideStix grip held up for smaller girl-hands; they seem big. And, is anyone using a 3/4 cuff? They seem more comfortable; the thought of dropping them down the side of a mountain isn't great, though. Finally- SideStix recommends the suspension system for long hikes. Is that necessary? Thanks so much- appreciate all the help I can get in getting back to being active.

Hello,

I've used Sidestix for 3 years and find them exceptional. The suspension is very kind to your joints, I have small hands and the cork grips are perfect. The cuff I also think is 3/4. Amazing customer service and the attachments for snow or sand get me to places that would otherwise be difficult. No, I don't work for the company! There used to be a money back 30 day trail. And some insurance companies pay.

Good luck with the Guillam Barre. I'm a nurse and have seen people recover. Good for you to find ways to adapt.

Teena Marie

Comment

Thanks for posting, NP. I'm not familiar with the other crutch brands you mentioned, but I'm sure they would be up to the task. As for foldable sticks, if they are foldable on the fly quickly that is awesome. I am testing a pair now that is (deploying and folding in a few seconds), and you are right they are convenient. Unfortunately they are only in the beta stage right now.

Side Stix grips are great and comfy, even for small hands. The suspension is nice, but not critical IMO if hikes are short.

Let us know what you picked and how all is working out.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Thanks for the input.. I like long hikes, mountains, no messing around, so I decided to go with SideStix. My "final answer" is transverse myelitis, so this is probably sticking around for a while. I am still interested to hear your review on the crutches you're testing out now! BTW, this site has been an amazing help. Thanks for helping keep my head straight through this.

Comment

Working...
        X