Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Hands with Trekking Poles

Hello,
    I have used the trekking poles for about a month now and love them. I use the cane indoors so I have a free hand and poles outside and away from home. They have saved me from falling daily.

My question is how do people use their hands when in small shops? My daughter and I went to a small food shop and it is very awkward having 2 poles in one hand for balance and a glass bottle of flavored vinegar in the other. (Blackberry ginger, yum!!!) We went to a coffee place and the same thing with carrying my tea.

Tired or not, when I start tipping I tend to keep going. Having two poles keeps me upright. At home I lean my body on something, which isn't possible in a store until I am paying at the counter.

Thanks

HF, there's not an easy answer to your question. I usually ask the person behind the counter for assistance (or bug Laura or a friend). I also have travel containers that don't spill, so I might have drinks poured in that instead of in a cup the store provides.

Incidentally for stairs, I'll let the pole on the railing slide drag (still attached by the strap) for the security of a railing.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

That helps. I use travel mugs at home to prevent spills so have plenty. Thanks for the tips on stairs. I only recently ran into stairs longer than a couple. Having two poles in my small hands that tend to drop things isn't going to keep me balanced if I start to go down.

I'm getting better at being willing to 'bug' people for help.

Thanks Dave!

Comment

Working...
      X