Advice for a fellow traveler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a fellow traveler?

Hello everyone! I'm about to embark on my five month backpacking trip in 8 days! As some of you already know, I'll be going to Australia, Thailand and Malaysia.
    I have some questions concerning my trip, which I hope some of you might be able to answer...

There are a lot of medications like Unisom for sleep and jetlag (none of the DMDs) and vitamins/supplements which I plan on taking. I'm worried that customs/those at the airport will confiscate my backpack because I don't have any prescriptions for any of them, since they're things I got from the pharmacy and nutrition/health stores. And I am hoping to mix many of my supplements so that I don't need to carry bottles and bottles in my bag. But I'm pretty sure that's a terrible idea.... does anyone does this when they travel? And are customs strict about bringing supplements and other regular meds like Tylenol?

Also, I'm not sure what to do about the famous traveler's diarrhea and dengue fever. Any suggestions? For anti-diarrhea, I was prescribed Azithromycin, and some basic Loperamide, but I don't know if these will severely affect my MS, especially since Azithromycin is an antibiotic...?

For dengue fever, there aren't any preventative medications that I can take that I know of. I'm worried it will prove fatal if I get it because of the fever.

And have any of you taken preventative medications against malaria? Again, it's not that I don't know what kinds are available but more that I don't know how it will affect MS.

On an unrelated note I'm super excited (and scared) about my trip! If any of you have some words of wisdom to share they are soooo welcome!

Thank you, enjoy a beautiful day

Hi there,

It sounds like a great trip. Regarding the supplements-it's not a good idea to mix them up-labels are always better-could you have them mailed to you periodocally? Regarding azithromycin and anti-malarials, I think getting malaria would be worse for your MS than taking the meds. And if you have traveller's diarrhea, taking something to stop it would be better than dehydrating yourself. Best to speak with a medical professional who knows you and your MS. Dengue and malaria are mosquito borne so good mosquito protection is essential.Everything from good bug repellant, to sleeping under a treated bednet, to keeping well covered (long pants and long sleeves) socks,etc.
    I'm a nurse with 5 years experience in pre-travel vaccination and travel info. I'm sure you've consulted with a travel clinic-they are a wealth of information.

Have a wonderful trip,

Teena Marie

Comment

Teena Marie nailed your questions. All I would add is that you will almost certainly be able to find similar vitamins, supplements, NSAID pain meds, sleep aids, and diarrhea meds available locally. In fact, if you're a little adventurous, you might find local products that are better and more specific to the local conditions than what you can get at home. Talk with the local pharmacist.

You will stand a much better chance of NOT having your stuff confiscated at customs if it's still in it's sealed bottles, and if you're not carrying an unusually large quantity of it.

Malarial prophylaxis tends to be area specific. I have used them with no more side effects than a little nausea but you do need to be careful about what you can mix them with. I don't believe there are a lot of malaria prone areas over there anyway.

As a person with MS, I would avoid areas where there is currently a known prevalence of Dengue and follow all the bite prevention advice Teena Marie gave. Those countries are aware of the problem areas and do try to mitigate the mosquitos in those areas.

You are about to embark on the experience of a lifetime. All you have to do is allow it to happen.

AMF Adventures

Comment

My Input

Nico:

AMF Adventures and Teena Marie have given very good advice here.

Regarding customs at airports having an issue with supplements and confiscating them.....while there is no need to add to the advice given to date about the wisdom of mixing supplements, from a customs confiscating such items point of view it is highly/extremely unlikely that will happen. I have toured the world - and never has my medicine bag been inspected. For many of those years I traveled with Copaxone (needles) in a carry on bag - and on only one occasion was I asked to produce documentation to support my need for this drug (and that was from someone operating an x-ray machine for security). So, the chances of you being inspected for supplements in a bottle is as close to zero as it gets. Even if they did...not sure under what basis they would seek to remove from you as they are personal effects (unless you arrive with a bag full of a specific supplement which may give the suspicion your intent is to sell them) which are perfectly legal.

I now travel with Gilenya - I never take documentation supporting my need for the drug.

I have provided my opinion regarding Dengue in another post to your other thread.

Sounds like you are about to go a just incredible trip. Please update us all when you can on your progress.

Comment

Working...
        X