STUDY: Stress Management Training May Help Reduce Disease Activity in MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Stress Management Training May Help Reduce Disease Activity in MS

Interesting article. But for the benefits to hold, you apparently have to keep working working on it. So chill out, y'all. Seriously, chill out. - Dave

Posting of the following article has been approved by The Doctor's Guide to the Internet(TM)) (http://www.docguide.com)

Source: DGNews

Stress Management Training May Help Reduce Disease Activity in MS

MINNEAPOLIS -- July 12, 2012 -- A new study shows that taking part in a stress management program may help people with multiple sclerosis (MS) prevent new disease activity.

The findings are published in the July 11, 2012, online issue of Neurology.

The study involved 121 people with MS. Half received the stress management program, which involved meeting with a therapist for 16 individual 50-minute sessions over 5 to 6 months. They learned about problem-solving skills, relaxation, increasing positive activities, and enhancing their social support.
    They could also choose optional sessions on topics such as fatigue management, anxiety reduction, pain management and insomnia treatment.

After the treatment ended, the participants were followed for another 5 to 6 months. The remaining participants were put on a waiting list as a control group. After 10 months, they attended a 5-hour workshop on stress management.

During the treatment period, a total of 77% of those receiving the stress management training were free of new lesions, or brain damage that indicates disease activity, during the treatment period, compared with 55% of those in the control group.

“The size of the effect is similar to other recent phase 2 trials of new drug therapies for MS,” said study author David C. Mohr, PhD, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois. “While it’s premature to make any specific recommendations about using this type of stress management training to manage MS disease activity, it will be important to conduct more research to identify specifically how this treatment is benefiting people with MS.”

In addition, questionnaires showed that those receiving the training had greater reductions in their stress levels than the control group.

However, the positive effects of the training did not continue after the treatment period. “This was unexpected,” said Dr. Mohr. “It’s possible that people were not able to sustain their new coping skills once the support ended, or that some aspect of the treatment other than stress management skills, such as the social support, was the most beneficial part of the treatment.”

SOURCE: American Academy of Neurology
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I find that envisioning my fist going through a really annoying person's face helps relieve my stress immensely.

Just the thought brings a smile to my face. And that releases endorphins as well as healing energy.

Yeah, I may be a touch intense.

Comment

Went to a stress management class supported by MS soc and it did help, and the trippy part was that the small amount of time spent on meditation has REALLY helped...I was super skeptical, but after giving it a real go ahead, it has helped me reduce stress by 80%!! Give it a try!

Comment

I enjoy meditation too. The hardest thing for me when I started doing meditation was to slow down enough to sit quietly. But, once I did the benefits soon outweighed my reluctance, and now I look forward to the time spent.

I've heard meditation described as taking time to stand outside the room and just watch what's going on. The "room" being the space our minds work hard to create to keep us safe, productive and viable.

A simple, no frills version of meditation is called "Mindfulness Meditation." Anywhere you are, you can pay attention to breath, observe the body, diffuse areas of tension and "watch" thoughts come and go.

This all seems pretty unspectacular yet it is possible, by doing these things, to create a calm and centered reference point to which you can return when life gets crazy.

Often now, when MS symptoms are bothering me, a few minutes spent in mindfulness meditation can really help.

...\O/...
        Liv__Well
        ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Working...
        X