Who else jogs even though it's hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else jogs even though it's hard?

Not talking about marathoners here, or those without symptoms.

When I jog, it's not fast and it's not pretty. I rarely have both feet off the ground at the same time. I can probably walk faster than I jog. But walking doesn't get my heart rate up or burn calories as well.

My right foot slaps the ground rather than landing heel first. Although it has been a long time since it happened, (JINX) I have fallen. And I jog on a gravel road.

Why do I risk injury for exercise? Because I still can, I guess. I don't believe in the "use it or lose it" thought process. Am I losing it because I'm using it? I don't really believe that either. I'm just doing what I can while I can.

Anybody else feel this way? Or want to offer a different view?

I run too. I used to run a lot when I played soccer. Even with 20 years of soccer, I had more running trophies than soccer. With MS, my coordination to play soccer at anywhere near the level I was playing is a ting of the past. For a few years, I didn't run because I fell too often. So I only used my rowing machine where when I fell, it was only 6 inches.

Last year on a trip to Guam, I started running again. 1 mile took me 14 min. When we left 10 days later, I could do it without walking (all hills). In the fall I ran a 15k with a coworker, and my goal this year is a half marathon. I'm certainly not fast, and my goal is always the same whether it's a run at lunch or a distance run. "Just finish."

My wife gets nervous because she thinks I push myself too far, and she brings up my falling and hitting my head training for the 15k. I keep saying, "You never know the boundaries of what can do until you allow yourself to fail." I have to try because I don't think it will get any easier, and it's on my bucket list. Keep moving, and when it comes to goals for a run or a walk, just finish.

Comment

I have started running again after a year break while trying to deal with my new MS diagnosis. It isn't always easy or pretty, but man, I feel good afterwards! I don't notice the burning, heavy weight feeling of my left foot as much. I have only fallen a few times, but come close often as my burning left foot doesn't always seem to do what I want. I guess I am a little scared of the future and want to move as much as I can now while I'm still fairly mobile.

Comment

That's how I feel, Marky! I do it while I can.

Comment

Working...
        X