Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prepare for your neuro appointment (from Neurology Now Magazine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prepare for your neuro appointment (from Neurology Now Magazine)

This is a good article just published in Neurology Now with lots of helpful pointers when preparing for your neuro appointment. FYI: You can get a free subscription to the print magazine. - Dave

Be Prepared!: How to make the most of office time with your neurologist
    Avitzur, Orly M.D., M.B.A.

As a neurologist in private practice, I often wish I had more time to spend with each of my patients. But in addition to spending time on their care, I have to make sure that I document the visit accurately in their electronic health record, meet new governmental requirements for record-keeping, and complete a variety of other administrative tasks. I make a big effort not to leave patients feeling neglected, but every once in a while, I fear that I have failed.

A recent Newsweek story, “The Doctor Will See You—If You're Quick” (bit.ly/HIgaEA), summarized troubling health care statistics from a variety of sources. Among the findings: In 25 percent of visits, doctors neglect to ask patients what is bothering them; the average time doctors spend conveying crucial information about patients' conditions and treatment options is 1.3 minutes; and about 30 percent of the time, doctors forget important information their patients tell them.

In spite of the fact that the vast majority of doctors are deeply dedicated to the health of their patients, the growing intrusion of administrative and regulatory demands has whittled down the time physicians can spend with patients. The imposition of governmental mandates has created a distraction from clinical care and forced doctors to divide their attention between patients and computerized checklists.

http://journals.lww.com/neurologynow...20121206NNxL09
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers
Working...
X