Been active? (Jan 2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been active? (Jan 2013)

I was trying to think of a way to get this forum really going and motivate everyone at the same time. Then I realized seeing or hearing what other people have been up to or have accomplished always motivates me to try new things. If you agree feel free to add what you've been up to and I'll try and start a new thread each month

January adventures:

(1) Went to my very first Quinceanera and had a blast -- even danced a bit. At first I was concerned about falling while I danced because my balance was quite off that day. I didn't do any fancy moves, but I didn't fall - so I'm calling it a success!

(2) Went and checked out the Japanese Friendship Gardens here. What a beautiful place. I definitely am going back in the spring when the plants bloom. Also, gonna try and get some friends together and arrange a private Japanese Tea there. Gonna be awesome!

(3) Went to my first burlesque show. OMG! So much fun!! It was in a little dive bar and the place was packed. I almost didn't go 'cuz well Ms. Bitch MS showed up and numbed everything from my waist down. I gave myself a little pep talk though and slowly dragged my ass there. I'm so glad I did -- so much fun!

January exercises:

(1) Still doing martial arts a couple hours a week. Even actually geared up and sparred one day! I haven't really done that since I got sick. It was exciting, challenging, and extremely frustrating. I have to admit, not being able to perform as well as I once did led to a minor meltdown. After I calmed down and thought about it I realize how far I've come since I first got sick in September.

(2) Hiking or as I am currently tagging it "a leisurely stroll through rocky terrain." I went on a couple of easy 3-mile hikes this months. Definitely went much slower than I used to, but I completed them. A friend that I brought along had a good laugh when she caught me talking to my feet: "Move! Lift up!" I just shrugged my shoulders and she laughed and said "Whatever works."

Ok, I've rambled enough now. What have all of you been up to this month? Come on, share with us. Inspire someone!

My January...

Adventures:

-Had a dinner party for friends and we didn't talk about MS once. Well, except for me talking about my insurance company's need to make things right.

-Celebrated 20 years of being married with a trip out of town (yes, with my wife, ha) and enjoyed a couple's massage. I really should get massages more often. Although I could do without those damn flip flops they give you!

-Trying to cook more meals (and do dishes) standing up the entire time. I park it, though, when I overheat.

Exercises:

-Working on balance and endurance at home and at the gym. Trying to do more exercises standing, which works more muscles than doing the same exercise sitting. And challenges the brain.

-Speaking of brain, still working on my daily Lumosity and enrolled my Mom and my step Mom-In-Law.

-Gave snowboarding a go for the first time in four years. Had a blast using outriggers, and I'm giving it a go again this weekend. I hope to do the main mountain instead of just the bunny hill.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Adventures:
      Hosted a New Years Eve party with my husband and our 4 closest friends. For the first time since being diagnosed, I laughed so hard I cried. More than once.

Went out shopping by myself twice. I have developed a fear of going out into public and get a lot of anxiety in lines and public places. I think to get over this, I just need to throw myself back into it. I used to love "me time" and need to learn to love it again.

Working on doing all of my injections myself. I sometimes have my husband do my arms and hips but am determined to figure it out.

Ok, not very adventureous this month, but it's winter in Nebraska. I can only control so much....

Excercises:

Finally able to do more than just relaxation and flexability based yoga! Yahoo!!!!

Started back on Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga (seriously great) and Jilian Michaels Yoga Melt Down. I only fell over once

Up to 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer followed by 20 minutes of free weights. Feels great.

Using a Brain Games and Crossword app on my Kindle FireHD. Gotta keep the mind in check too!

Comment

Bundled myself up and went to collect some data for a citizen science project near the Cosumnes River Preserve (Calif.). Took a few pictures and enjoyed some incredible wildlife.

Found a shop that sells recumbent trikes..... I may have found something to do with my tax return this year. The Waves to Wine Bike MS is in September.

...\O/...
        Liv__Well
        ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Great idea AZgal.

Adventures:
          In addition to everyday being a new adventure, also went to see the Van Gogh art exhibition, a unique and rewarding opportunity.

Exercise:
          Finally got a routine down, (don't know why that always seems to take so long at the beginning of the new year). It includes 2 days of elliptical and weight training (Mon., Thurs.), 3 days of cycling (Sun., Tues., Sat.), and 2 free days, one of which is restorative yoga, the other can be anything or nothing (Wed., Fri.).

Shoveled snow 3 times, only one to four inches.

Read two books.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for responding. Congrats to everyone for getting out and doing something

Life is short - try something new each month!

And thanks for the reminders to stretch and play mind games. I do play Words with Friends and Scramble, not sure if they count. As for stretching, need to do more as I've notice legs seeming tight. Also think I did something to my ankle and knee on my "off" leg, really bothering me the last couple days. Who knows? Gonna give it a couple more days...

Keep up the good work and HAVE FUN!

Comment

Thanks AZgal for snapping me back to reality. It has been almost a year since I lost access to the weightloss/exercise group I was a member of for nearly 10 years. Happy to say I've only gained 5 pounds.

Five pounds a year, when you're over 50 y/o, can wreak havoc.

I've exercised a whole 2 days this year. Hey, it's a start. We all start somewhere, right?

Went for my 1st hike in the woods in many months just today. Lasted a good while, almost an hour. I hunt for whitetail deer antler sheds, beginning, usually, in late February. Earliest I've ever found one is March 3rd. Actually I credit my dog Rosie for finding that one. It was very fresh, with a bit of blood.

Glad I peeked into this website today! Haven't been here in a long time. Good to see a topic that I can relate to. I am an "active MSer", just not as active as most who talk here.

Comment

Working...
              X