Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active MSer battles MS with mixed martial arts (article)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active MSer battles MS with mixed martial arts (article)!

Dawn, a black belt member of ActiveMSers who also sword fights, was recently featured in the Air Force News! - Dave

1/29/2013 - DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. (AFNS) -- Dawn Fiore has been studying martial arts for 17 years, but it was only last year she went public about her toughest opponent -- multiple sclerosis.

The wife of Maj. Christian Fiore, a Reserve C-17 Globemaster III pilot assigned to the 326th Airlift Squadron here, was diagnosed with MS in 2005 and can still remember what she was doing when she felt her first symptom at age 34.

"I got up from my desk one day, about to go to lunch with some friends," she said. "And, I had this horrifying experience of vertigo; everything was spinning around me, to the point where I was holding on to a wall."

STORY: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123334029
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

A great article! I, myself, have been practicing, teaching, and coaching martial arts for about 20 years. I have a black belt in Tae Kwan Do and a purple belt in Okinawan Kenpo. At one point in time, I also competed on the national circuit competing in sparring.

One thing I have learned since being diagnosed is that even though I am unable to move well enough to fight in the ring and my kicks are less than gorgeous or fast anymore, I can still participate, enjoy, teach and contribute to the martial arts.

What I'm trying to say and what I think this article says is, don't ever give up! If you love doing something, find a way to keep doing it in whatever capacity you can. Where there is a will, there is always a way.

Comment

Originally posted by AZgal View Post
      What I'm trying to say and what I think this article says is, don't ever give up! If you love doing something, find a way to keep doing it in whatever capacity you can. Where there is a will, there is always a way.
      Love it! And yeah, while you might not always get your way, you are still putting it out there.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Martial arts at my self help group on Saturday in DC area

I run a MS Self Help group in the DC area focused on exercise and other things each of us can control (beyond things like medication). Each month, introduce the attendees to different forms of exercise for them to explore - this month (actually this Saturday) will be martial arts. Have some passionate young people coming in from a local martial arts studio to teach us some moves from either a standing or seated position. Really looking forward to to.

AZgal - if you have time and would be interested, could have you join this session (via free internet video conference) to talk about how martial arts have helped you manage MS. The session takes place from 10am to noon EST - that would be kind of early I know how there in AZ, though you could come in for the last 30 minutes. Let me know if interested - email is msthrivers@gmail.com

Comment

Gary -- Thanks for the invite. I would love to participate online provide I can figure out how to use the video confernce thingy. I'll email you my contact information so you can forward me all the info. I generally leave my house about 10 AM on Saturdays to go to the studio. So as long as I'm done by then, no prob.
          Last edited by AZgal; 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Great!

AZgal - as long as you have a computer and an internet connection this will work. We can use skype video for this purpose. If you don't have a cam, that will be ok as well - so use the same technology to receive your voice and you will be able to see us.

What we could do is a test this Friday evening g to make sure everything works ahead of the session this Saturday morning (March 9);

Comment

Awesome! We can do a test run on Friday night. I emailed you my contact info. I genally get home from work about 6 PM (I believe that's 4 PM EST). Email me what works for you and I'll be there

Comment

Working...
              X