Lecture from leading expert on MS and movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lecture from leading expert on MS and movement

I recently started a MS self help group in the DC area - focused on exercise and other non-medicinal techniques to help manage MS.

This past month we had a leading expert on MS and movement (Dr. Kathy Zackowski from the Johns Hopkins MS Center) lecture on the topic of MS and exercise. Her lecture was videoed and I was able to it onto youtube for everyone to see, only last night!

Is an hour long, but highly recommend a viewing - will get into some topics many of us have not been exposed to. In hindsight should have zoomed in on the screen projecting the slides - but did not think of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GamWLLDaBCw

That was fantastic Gary, I hope it goes viral among PWMS. All MSers need to know that exercise not only strengthens muscles that still work but that it also promotes a healthy immune system along with neural repair and replacement. I find it heart warming that in the few years since this site was started, exercise has become much more widely accepted by neuro's and MS clinics as a viable, meaningful, on the verge of being considered necessary, therapy for PWMS.

Thanks Gary,

Comment

Thanks for posting, Gary! I'll be watching shortly.
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Other than the things I always harp on, here were a few of my favorite takeaways from the lecture, which was excellent.

"Use a walker while you exercise." (if you have any balance issues)

"Doctors/neuros are not the best choice for movement advice."

"Find a great PT who specializes in MS or neurology in general."

Dr. Zackowski is pretty darn smart and well suited to giving presentations. The videographer, on the other hand....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Comment from videographer....

"The videographer, on the other hand...." - yes, he definitely needs help

That room has terrible lighting - and also a rather noisy ice maker which thankfully decided not to turn itself on!

Comment

Thank you for the posting. I was, especially, interested to learn about hip abductor exercises, which I will look up on the internet. I avoid walking as it aggravates my hip in the back - but if I could strengthen this and return to walking, I'd be a happy camper. Or walker. Whichever. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X