Been active? (Feb 2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been active? (Feb 2013)

A big hello to everyone from Arizona! It's that time again to look back and see what we've accomplished this month. I'm going to say right off the bat that this month was a challenging one for me.

Adventures:

(1) Went downtown and checked out the Willo District Home Tour. The Willo District is an historic district in Phoenix. I was looking forward to this, but much to my dismay I underestimated the amount of walking and standing involved. Didn't get to see as much as I would have liked as it simply taxed my reserves too much. I really need to find a way to get some trekking poles.

(2) Went to the Matsuri Festival with a bunch of friends I train with. I had a blast! There were plenty of opportunities to take a break, sit down, and check out a demo or simply people watch checking out all the cos-play costumes.

Exercise:

(1) Still training in Okinawan Kenpo twice a week. I can honestly say I have come to an acceptance regarding what I am capable of doing when it comes to being in the studio. I have great training partners that I have known for many years to thank for helping find that place in my mind.

(2) As for exercising my mind, I'm still playing Words with Friends and Scramble everyday. I am also trying harder to get one good book in every week.

Challenges: I mentioned I had several challenges this month. Well, here they are:

(1) Had to call off from work for the first time since my original major episode. I didn't have another episode, but I did overdue it one weekend - that on top of taking my meds (Avonex) on Sunday night resulted in me being very ill Monday morning. Once I called in, I went back to sleep and slept until 11:30 AM, which never happens.

(2) Went for my annual mammogram with not so awesome results. Doc scheduled a biopsy. Yeah, the stress and the biopsy itself - can you say exacerbate your symptoms? Fortunately the unidentified mass turned out to just be a cyst.

(3) My gyn also decided he wanted to check up on some ovarian cysts I had in the past (lucky me). That entails having two ultra sounds in four weeks, seeing as the first one was not awesome. Yeah, go ahead, drink 42 ounces of water and hold it in for an hour and a half and then have someone press all over your bladder. Did I mention I have MS? Can you say fastest straight shot to the bathroom afterwards? Fortunately the second one turned out good enough to avoid surgery.

Well, that was my month - the good, the bad, and the ugly. In the end, I guess it was ok month. I won't object if next month is a little less stressful. What have you all been up to? Come on, share.

I got out a good bit this past month.

Adventures

(1) Checked out the Deco Japan: Shaping Art and Culture, 1920 - 1945 exhibit at the ABQ Museum. Tromped around with the forearm crutches, taking the occasional rest to recharge.

(2) Saw three best-picture-nominated movies: Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, and Django Unchained.

(3) Walked over a mile at movie theaters. Really.

(4) Tried a hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant in Santa Fe. Mmm.

Exercise

(1) Snowboarded without aid (not even outriggers) last weekend.

(2) Did most of an 86-minute exercise program on Comcast's Exercise TV.

(3) Did 34 chest presses with 25-lb dumbbells. Could have done 40, but my form was starting to waiver.

Challenges

(1) Got sick and missed a Saturday snowboarding lesson. Minor cold but that's all it takes to get me wonky.

(2) Confirmed that elevation gain triggers emergency #2 for me. And when you go to a ski area, you gain significant elevation. And ski area bathrooms are not always convenient. Sigh.

(3) But my challenges were nothing like this kid's. He fell off the ski lift while we were at Ski Santa Fe and we saw him being airlifted out of the ski area. He was apparently tossing snowballs at his friends on another chair and slipped. He held on for a few minutes before falling nearly 50 feet. The boy suffered a collapsed lung, fractured skull and lacerated liver but he lived and is doing well. And it was caught on film!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zioMFv2_pk
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Not a big month here.

On the Adventure side:
      1) I got out to lunch a couple of times with a few folks from my MS yoga groups, some I hadn't seen since last summer.

2) Went to dinner at the home of a young lady who bikes with me on occasion, when she's not tied up with her 2-year-old twins. Her husband brews an IPA beer, 12% - 14% alcohol content, which is my basis of comparison for all other IPA's. I haven't had another one that can even come close yet.

3) Attended the 32nd birthday party of the young lady I do most of my cycling with. Hit it off pretty well with her father who I found out, after thanking him profusely for the loan of his daughter, is also an artisan bread baker - with his own outdoor, wood fired, adobe oven no less.

Exercise:
      1) About half of my exercise for the last month centered on shoveling snow. Frequent snows and the amount of snow put a damper in my exercise routine. I made one significant goal for the month by completing 8 hours on the bike in a single week.

2) Also finished 2 books and started a third one, "The Elephant Keepers' Children" by Peter Hoeg, a pleasant, entertaining read so far.

AMF

Comment

Sounds like you two had awesome months!

The Deco Japan exhibit sounds awesome. Wish I could have seen it. How was the Life of Pi? I have the book and I love it. Have read it several times but am having a hard time seeing how they could make a move out of it.

AMF - What books did you finish? You'll have to let us know how "The Elephant Keeper's Children" is. Sounds interesting. And good for you for getting out and meeting up with people for lunch, etc. I miss that. I'm so tired after work all I want to do is veg on the couch. Guess gotta work more on managing my energy so I can fit some time more time in with my peeps.

Here are some of my favorite books: (1) American Gods, by Neil Gaiman; (2) The Heroin Diaries bu Nikki Sixx; (3) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini; and (4) Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. What are some of your favorites?

So, woke up this morning and realized I didn't mention the awesome that happened last month. Despite feeling like a lab rat most of the month, I managed to test for my purple belt and pass! Yeah Me! But that wasn't the best part. Actually attempted several spin kicks last weekend! Yes, someone had to catch me several times as a wobbled and almost face planted into the wall, but it was awesome nonetheless - and I actually hit the target most of the time

be well both of you -- until next time.

Comment

Adventures
          My brother in law and I are one day apart in age and have the same circle of close friends. We celebrate our birthdays together every year. I hadn't gone out for a night since my dx in December, so I was apprehensive but ended up going bowling with our friends and had a blast. I actually seemed to bowl better with MS

We only had one snow-storm but it was enough that they let us off work early. Since DH is working his rear off so we can pay off these medical bills, I felt like it would be nice of me to scoop snow, so I did! It wasn't that bad, I was exhausted afterward but some matcha tea and banana bread seemed to perk me right back up.

I went several places alone, including my neurology follow-up, a suprise award ceremony for a friend, and, most importantly, to a therapist to help me with this anxiety. My anxiety is by far the most dibilitating part of my MS so far. Seriously.

Excercises
          Bumped up the the "advanced" category of my stability ball - belly, thighs and butt workout.

Started incorporating a little Jillian Michaels into my weekly routine again (I have missed that so much!)

Took Sampson on a 3 mile hike!

Challenges
          Like I said, overcoming my anxiety is my biggest challenge right now. I've never had panic attacks or severe anxiety until MS so it's a really scary feeling. I'm trying very hard to control it without meds.

Comment

Awesome job by you to Heta! Keep up with the stability ball. We use them in the studio. If nothing else they're good for a laugh when you roll off of them Keep of the good work on dealing with your anxiety as well. I've had anxiety attacks in the past. I find if I can just get where I am intending on going, I'm fine. It's the getting there that's the challenge sometimes - for me anyways.

Comment

Me for February

Love this idea of monthly updates on what is going on in our lives, what we have done, what is working. For some of us an accomplishment is getting into bed independently, for others it is finding a new friend, for others it is earning a new belt in martial arts, for others it is finding a new way to stay better. Let's share and celebrate those things.

Update from me:

Motivated out of a desire to improve things in the #2/deuce (a term borrowed from Dave) department, began a gluten free diet. While of only minimal help in the #2 department, has pushed the needle in terms of a little more energy, a little more cognitive sharpness. As temps begin to warm up out here in the east coast, am hoping will find out that it has made me less sensitive to heat. Time will tell.

On the physical front, had hoped to run under 2 hours in a half marathon this winter. Ran 3 hours last winter - used to run 1h 20m back in my prime. Am close, but will probably not break 2 hours this winter. I think am in good enough condition to do this - but a minor problem with right knee has forced me to back off a little. Maybe under 2h next winter.

Comment

Great idea-monthly updates!

What a great idea- monthly update of our tribulations and trials.
                Adventures-
                -The 5th of February my sister and I returned from a 21 day trip to Australia and New Zealand which included a 12 day cruise. It was the trip of a lifetime and we were quite active- hiking, spinning on board the ship, etc. I had thought about skipping my MS treatment during the trip, but I did the Copaxone every day without a problem.
                Exercise-
                -Launched a total body fitness program since I know I will just cycle one the weather improves. I have been doing classes at the gym, weight lifting, spinning and Pilates fairly regularly.
                -No outside biking at all, but maybe today...
                Challenges-
                -The time change from Australia to EST kicked my rear. It took weeks to realign my circadian rhythm. I think I am finally straight so tonight daylight savings starts...
                -The effects of Gilenya seem to be fading. The doctors said the effects would be gone in 3 months, but that wasn't true. I still had significant decreases in lung function at 3 months. I am going to test again in April or May, but I can get my heart rate back into the range I could handle pre-treatment and I seem to be better able to push my exercise tolerance.
                Pell
                Last edited by pawpaw; 03-08-2013, 07:27 AM.

Comment

February 1 was a great day and actually the last great day I had most of the month. It was a little warm that day. I went for a couple of long-ish walks then drove 45 minutes home and went grocery shopping. Sometimes I forget that I’m not the Energizer Bunny. I’m on the rebound now though.

I started some new strengthening exercises from my wonderful physical therapist. She always has good stuff for me to do and I leave our sessions feeling really encouraged. I’ve got another appointment with her in a few weeks.

I also found a trike shop and was able to take a sweet hand crank trike out for a spin. It was an awesome machine but pretty dang heavy. I would really have a tough time loading it up to take it anywhere. The price tag was hefty too.

Even when I’m not feeling that great I exercise. It isn’t always strenuous and I may only last 20 minutes, but I do something for my body. Exercise doesn't have to be rigorous to be beneficial.

When I started feeling a little stronger last week I did some cardio on an elliptical machine with good results. This weekend I was able to do some interval running. The weather has been chilly, and I so love having the cooler air to run in outdoors. I think I’m at my best when the temperatures are between 33 and 45 degrees and the humidity is low.

It's great to hear what everyone has been up to!

...\O/...
                  Liv__Well
                  ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Working...
                  X