Read any good books lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read any good books lately?

I know this isn't an MS related topic, but I'm curious. Anyone read any good books lately?

Here are some of my favorites: (1) American Gods, by Neil Gaiman; (2) The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx; (3) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini; and (4) Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

Here are some on my "to read" list: (1) The Memory Keepers Daughter; (2) The Dante Club; (3) The Things They Carried; and (4) Supergods.

What are some of your favorites? Have you read any of the ones listed above? Do you have a favorite author?

Glad you asked,

My best reads so far this year have been:
    The Nightmare by Lars Kepler; Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn; The Racketeer by John Grisham

I am currently enjoying The Elephant Keepers' Children by Peter Hoeg so much I've already ordered Smilla's Sense of Snow by the same author.

If you like ultimate wordsmiths, J.K. Rowling's' The Casual Vacancy was okay but Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon was better.

Thanks for your list, The Kite Runner was an interesting book, I will have a look at the others.

Comment

Thanks for your list AMF. The Elephant Keepers Children sounds interesting as well. I think I shall add it to my to be read list! Another good one that I some how left off my prior list is "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.

be well,

Comment

I too enjoyed The Kite Runner. I also found Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin a wonderful story. Another book I found fascinating was Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Many of the books I've enjoyed reading in the last couple of years have been about cultures outside of the U.S.

...\O/...
        Liv__Well
        ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Great thread, AZ! We have similar taste in books, it looks like.

I just fished Lost by Cheryl Strayed. It is SO good, so inspirational. I recommend everyone read it! Ever read a book so good that it's tough to get into something else afteward?

I'm currently reading From Panic to Power, a selp-help book recommended by my therapist. It's actually really good, even if I did get mad at an referece regarding MS!

Comment

Love seeing all of these book ideas. I just got Running with Sissors. Wanted to mention that if you guys likes The Kite Runner you might like the documentary "GOD GREW tired of us". It's the story of the lost boys of Africa. It is a show, not a book but....

Comment

Recently read Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her. Starting to read some short stories by Alice Munro. I often read aloud to Laura (with gusto, accents, the works) so we both experience the highs and lows together. It makes our driving adventures much more pleasurable. Although Junot's book was challenging since my Spanish is mucho terrible....
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

So many great posts and books to add to my list of must reads!! Dave, you are awesome! Sometimes when I'm reading it'll be all quite in the house and I'll break out laughing and my poor dog looks at me like "wtf?".

Comment

Had to pop this thread up again to mention a couple of books.

"The Iluminaries" by Elanor Catton. A young author in New Zealand who is a wordsmith of the first order. An excellent read.

"S" by Doug Dorst. Conceived of by the film maker, J.J. Abrams and written by Dorst. It's a story within a story where the two stories are intertwined around the book and notes written in the margins of the book between two university students who share it.

Comment

Mountains Beyond Mountains

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder is a non fiction account of Dr. Paul Farmer to prevent and cure infectious diseases in large populations of the developing world.

There is considerable insight into the political workings of the developed world, the medical industry and big pharma all of which should be of great interest to anyone living with a chronic disease.

The best book I've read in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X