heat reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat reaction

Ok, I have a question. Yesterday the weather here finally hit the 2 weeks of spring before summer. It was a beautiful 82 degrees. So a friend and I decided to take in a spring training game.

I wore jeans and a t-shirt cuz, yeah, it's not 100 degrees yet. The stadium was open and the sun shone on us all afternoon. I was able to keep my core temperature down with plenty of icees and water.

I thought I was doing a pretty good job of managing my symptoms until I got up to go to the bathroom. While in there I nearly freaked out. The inside and front of my legs (under my jeans) were covered with what looked like a road map of thick red lines. They weren't raised and they didn't hurt but they were there nonetheless.

Once I got home and cooled completely down, they went away. Has anyone else had this happened?

-AZgal

P.S. This will be my first summer in the desert since being diagnosed. I do believe it's going to be some kind of adventure

Hi,

I've never had such a reaction-did it affect your mobility at all? It's possible it had something to do with the fabric of your jeans or the detergent you use. It will be interesting to see what happens to bare legs.

I use an ice vest and keeping myself wet to deal with the heat.

Good luck,

Teena Marie

Comment

Hi Teena Marie --

Thanks for responding. I thought of that as well as my mobility wasn't really affected. The thing is I haven't changed detergents or fabric sofeners and I've had these jeans a while so I'm sure I've worn them in the summer before. Beside it didn't itch like most reactions to those things do.

It's a mystery.

Comment

I'm anxious to see how I handle the humidty and heat of SE Nebraska! This is my first summer with MS too (or is it??? I guess one will never really know!)

Comment

Heat reaction

Hi AZ Gal,

Your reaction is possibly a heat rash. i have had this type of reaction. The things that helped me were wearing light-colored shorts or pants made out of thinner material, wearing cool vest that i placed on my legs if they felt like they were getting too hot (there are commercial cool pants if you want them) and staying out of direct sunlight during the ball game by using a sunblock umbrella as well as drinking cold liquids. There are many options for staying cool and it just depends on how much you want to spend and what works for you. Let me know if you have any questions and maybe i can help. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks dad2jd! What's weird is I've lived here for 25+ years and have never had that happen before, but then again I haven't been through a summer here with MS.

I'm trying to save up for a cooling vest, but unfortunately just but $1600 in my car. Ugh. I'll have to create a makeshift one for the time being

Comment

Working...
            X