STUDY: Are you a "faller"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Are you a "faller"?

Risk factors for falls in multiple sclerosis: an observational study.

Gunn H, Creanor S, Haas B, Marsden J, Freeman J.

School of Health Professions, Plymouth University, UK.

BACKGROUND: People with multiple sclerosis (MS) experience frequent falls, which
    are associated with impairments and limitations to activities and participations.

OBJECTIVE: The objective of this paper is to evaluate falls risk factors using
    robust clinical measures.

METHODS: A total of 150 individuals (confirmed MS
    diagnosis, Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) 3.5-6.5) were recruited, with
    148 participants included in the final analysis. Demographic data were collected
    and performance assessed in eight predictor measures (Physiological Profile
    Assessment (PPA), Brief Ataxia Rating scale, Ashworth scale (Ashworth), Modified
    Falls Efficacy scale, Symbol Digit Modalities Test, dual-task interference,
    lying/standing blood pressure, static/dynamic visual acuity). Participants
    prospectively recorded falls over three months using a daily diary. People were
    classified as "fallers" based on reports of ≥ two falls.

RESULTS: A total of 104
    participants recorded 672 falls; 78 (52.7%) reported ≥ two falls. Continence
    issues, previous falls history and use of prescribed medications were each
    associated with increased risk of being a "faller". Ashworth and PPA risk score
    contributed significantly to a logistic regression model predicting
    faller/non-faller classification. The reduced model (Ashworth, PPA, EDSS) showed
    fair-to-good predictive ability (ROC c-statistic 0.73, sensitivity 70%,
    specificity 69%).

CONCLUSION: This study confirms the high prevalence of falls in
    ambulant people with MS. Important potentially modifiable risk factors are
    identified, suggesting aspects to target in falls interventions.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I was a faller several years before DX and the frequency when from once a year to once a month.
    But 3 years ago I got some ankle exercises from the PT and I have not fallen since.( still doing those exercises every morning) Got some close calls but I was strong enough to catch myself.
    Actually, it is when I understood how important exsercise was and I started to ride my bike!

Comment

I'm not a faller, I'm more of a "run into the waller". Yoga seems to be helping with my overall corrdination. I still have issues with depth preception when I get tired though and have bruises on my thighs to show for it. Along with the Copaxone bruises, these make board shorts a MUST in the summer!

Comment

I've fallen 4 times in the last year. Mostly happens when from a standing position, I go to walk forward or sideways, and my L foot doesn't get the message to move. All four times, it's happened in a fairly confined space near my bed (how convenient! ). I fell once at the bottom of a staircase in 2010, and escaped with just a bruise.

I'm better on my bike than on my feet!
        There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate gear and clothing.

Comment

Working...
        X