Mushroom hunting season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushroom hunting season

Lasted about 2 weeks, but seems longer. Went on my last hunt yesterday and found just enough for a nice side dish to chicken stir fry.

Surprised myself at how long I was able to last on each hunt. One day I went out 3 times! One day I hunted for 2 hours at one time. Didn't weigh them this year but guessing I found about 4-5 pounds. It was 7 last year but I hunted a place I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be in.

What a difference it makes when hiking in thick brushy woods using 2 trekking poles instead of one hiking stick. I'm still wadded up like The Hunchback and dragging my right side on the home stretch, though. I don't think that will ever change.

After yesterday's hunt, later during dinner, my right hand sort of quit working. It was hard to hold the fork and I almost turned down dessert because I didn't want to have to struggle with the ice cream spoon. That's sad ~ almost turning down Edy's Orange Cream sherbet! But it's better today. Think I overused my hand; first holding the trekking pole for an hour, then chopping veggies.

Along with crediting the trekking poles, I also thank my chiropractor! He's done more help with my walking ability than the Ampyra. I can't say a chiro will help everyone, but it could be helpful. I'm not a chiro pusher!

I did get a little pocket mushroom identification guide, a pair of hiking poles and went for a couple of short hikes keeping an eye open for mushrooms. I came up empty but these were really short hikes, maybe 30 min. max. I'm nowhere near being able to go for 2 hours but it was a start and at least it was possible. I only went with one pole, didn't even think to throw the other one in the car. Who does that??????

Comment

Using 2 poles keeps me upright and steadier. Makes it just a little bit less easy to favor one side.

Once you find where the 'shrooms grow, you should be able to go straight to that spot the next season. Then it's not so much hunting, as gathering!

Comment

Yeah, I sort of figured there was a big 2 pole advantage when I saw a number of well outfitted trekkers without MS using 2 on this trail.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hiya, Sparky!

Last month I found some huge (10") Morels behind my house. Surprise! I've been here 30 years. Morels are fickle, and don't always show up in the same place every year.

I sauteed those bad boys in butter and white wine and put half of them in a ziplock in the freezer.

I don't get my Chanterelles until November.
          There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate gear and clothing.

Comment

Hey Grrl! Wow, lucky you! Right in the yard! You're right about them showing up in the same place. Two separate spots this year had none compared to one of them being the most productive site last year.

In Mississippi I owned 180 acres. A hippie couple would hunt for Chanterelles but never found any. I don't know if Morels grow down south. I didn't know about them when living there.

I found just enough Morels to freeze a few meals worth. I dredge them in bread crumbs and fry in olive oil. Then, as you did, put them in ziplock bags. This year I kept the crumbled broken off pieces and froze them raw for adding to steaks or whatever.

Comment

Jealous! So dry here in New Mexico that mushrooms are as rare as Bigfoot.
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
              X