Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been active (July 2013)

Hey everyone! I'm b-a-a-c-c-k-k!

It's been awhile since I posted one of these threads. I hope everyone's doing well. Despite several bouts of massive fatigue, I'm good. Oh yeah, and one bout of what I can only describe as Terrets of the hand. Did I spell that right? Got a cramp out of nowhere in the middle finger of my left hand. It didn't hurt, but every time I pushed it down, it just popped right back up. It was like I was giving MS the middle finger. I laughed so hard!

What else have I been up to? Let's see. I took part in the NOH8 Campaign photo shoot when they came to town. What a blast! Met so many interesting people there. Got my photo today and it turned out great but that's only a side note in be able to attend an event supporting a cause you believe in.

I also went to a reading and book signing put on by my favorite author, Neil Gaiman. He is just as interesting an individual as I imagined him to be. I also went to check out the new Butterfly Wonderland that opened up near me. That was a small MS challenge -- spend 30 mins or so walking around in what amounts to a steam bath, all humid and shit, and then walk out into the sauna that's Arizona heat. It was awesome though.

I had several other adventures including hosting a laser tag fundraiser last night to raise funds for our MS Walk team. Though I fully intended on playing a couple of games myself, after nearly face-planting on the carpet twice at work that day and seeing all the kids there to play, I opted out and decided to be the cheering section. Oh yeah, and today we had a fire drill at work. No worries right? That is until you're halfway down 20 flights of stairs. I think perhaps, despite every stubborn molecule in my body saying not to do it, I might have to put myself on the exempt list.

Well, that about sums up the interesting parts of the last couple months. Future plans include a 2-day martial arts seminar coming up in August, the MS Walk in November, and a trip to Maui right afterwards.

be well everyone and keep active,

-AZGal

PS - I almost forgot. I went to a martial arts weekend retreat up north, where it's cooler. I got to play with a live bladed Samuri sword. That's right, they let someone with unpredictable legs and arms play with a sword that could chop one of those appendages off! No worries though, all went well. We also broke boards and worked kata and went on two 3-mile hikes. I used some poles I borrowed and actually completed both hikes, though I did need a beer after the second one. That's the first time I'm hiked that far since I got sick. Take than MS!
    Last edited by AZgal; 07-25-2013, 10:14 PM.

Wow, you are active! Glad you've been having a good time.

Ok, you made me look up NOH8 Campaign. Interesting! I saw an upcoming shoot I'm going to tell a friend about. The website doesn't have your event up yet. Scottsdale, right?

Cool, the Butterfly Wonderland. I went into a similar thing with hummingbirds in, I think, the Denver zoo. From the moist sauna to the dry sauna for you, huh?

You might get exemption from the fire drill, but no such luck if there's a real fire.

Comment

Glad to see you're back at it AZ, don't think I can say I've been as busy as you!

I'm in the heat of the cycling season, both literally and figuratively. I have an event every 3 to 4 weeks and, on occasion, it has been plenty hot. Did 136 miles over 3 days with Pell in Kentucky the end of May, stunningly beautiful country and a fantastic time. Managed 176 miles on the MS 150 here. Boy, did I ever need a couple of beers after that one. I am about ready to take on an 80 mile ride over Fremont and Vail passes, the weather has been a little unsettled lately, hope it cooperates. After that, "Pedal los Pueblos", the MS 150 in New Mexico, maybe my favorite ride of the year. A small crowd of great folks in a superbly organized, though quite challenging, event.

My social life has been occupied by my kids, their spouses, and grand children, 8 people altogether. While it's been fun, I'm thinking my days of keeping up with a bunch of thirty somethings and their children are probably numbered.

Determined to keep moving,

Comment

Hi Sparky -- Thanks for your interest in the campaign and passing that info along! And yes it was like going from a wet sauna into a dry sauna. I had to sit in my car for a bit with the air blasting at 65 before I felt safe to drive. Oh, and I've decided to not put myself on the exempt list (for now anyways).

AMF - You are awesome! You're posts about your rides always inspire me to keep moving, keep going to the studio and keep training. I have accepted the fact that while in the studio, I have to do things differently, make adjustments. I consider it a success just to show up and put forth the best effort I can on that day.

My studio is hosting a huge seminar soon with several Masters coming out. I'm a little nervous of not being able to keep up and of falling in front of them, but my training partners have been great in telling me I'll do fine and no one will care about the adjustments we've made or if I misstep and lose my balance or have to sit out to cool down.

be well and keep active,
        -AZgal

Comment

I've been filling my July days with car buying (long story, wife's car totaled), video making (BikeMS for AMF and gang), house shopping (for parents, again long story), getting wet (thank god Albuquerque has finally gotten some rain this July), house renovating (minor), and salsa dancing (gimpy salsa dancing).
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Hi all: My July was a good one...I'm in the North East (Westchester, NY). Had a fun time at Tanglewood picnicking on the lawn for Jackson Browne concert.....(used my Segway to "go the distance"....)and at a friend's BBQ in the Berkshires..., just survived the North East heat wave, got comfortable giving my cat his insulin shots twice daily ( and I thought once a week was too much....) and finding a way to pick up the "sweet" ( no pun intended) 14 pounder, and carry him to the kitchen with my wobbly legs to prick his ear to check his sugar, took a week off from work and had fun kayaking with one of my adaptive ski instructors.... a little biking, a little weeding, and a little wining with friends. But no whining.....
            Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Love the NOH8 Campaign! Also love Neil Gaiman. Just got his newest book but haven't started reading it yet. How cool to get to meet him. I've wanted to practice martial arts since I was a kid but I never have. Recently I've been looking for a good place that teaches Tai Chi. I figure it will be great for the balance issues I've recently developed. Congrats on finishing those hikes! I haven't been hiking since last fall right before my diagnosis. I really want to get back into it. I've been walking the hills in my neighborhood to keep in shape for it. I need to find some hiking partners that will be ok with whatever symptoms I have going on that day. I used to hike with just my dogs but I don't think that's safe enough anymore. And I need to get a decent set of hiking poles. I've got one pole that I bought from Wally World. It doesn't lock in place very well. Starts to collapse if you put too much weight on it. Not good!

All the best, JF

Comment

Love all the new people on this thread. I usually post it at the beginning of each month so people can share what they've been up to and perhaps inspire others to get/keep moving.

I took a couple months off as a result of several personal and MS related issues, but I'm back. So look for a "Been Active?" thread near the beginning of each month and let everyone know what you've been up to.

Chat with you soon.

be well,
                AZgal

Comment

Working...
                X