Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could be "cured" of one symptom, which one would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could be "cured" of one symptom, which one would you choose?

For most of us with MS, we have more strange symptoms than fingers and toes. So last night while I was taking a shower, I started to wonder—what if I could get rid of just one multiple sclerosis symptom. Which one would I choose?

Well, I discovered this is not a question to ponder in a hot shower for the obvious reason that heat and MS don't mix, but I did come up with an answer. Leg strength. I had a host of symptoms to choose from, from vision and numbness to memory and bladder, but boy do I miss having the leg pop to snowboard moguls and hike for hours.

What about you guys?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Yep, it's leg for me, too. It's really just my left leg that sometimes seems to be just along for the ride. By the end of the walk, the right leg's doing all the work. Just doesn't seem fair to that right leg. I miss being able to walk for miles without a care in the world. Of course, if I could walk for miles again, I'd have to worry about finding a bathroom...

Comment

Fatigue

The vision is a nuisance, but the fatigue is so unpredictable. One day I can go for hours and the next, I hit a brick wall. It is very difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't experienced this. Those without MS just "push through it" but that isn't possible with this fatigue. Some people think I am just being lazy. I was told at work that if I lost a few pounds (5'6" 140#) that I wouldn't have the problem.
      Sometimes I wish I could give those around me a few minute taste of what it is like.

Comment

I must say the inability to run or feel my legs is the most annoying, followed very closly by bladder control, and then of course the vision thing. Or maybe its the horrible back pain where it seizes up constantly. I agree with pawpaw, I wish my friends and family could feel what I feel for just one day! But since that isn't going to happen I will settle for them to continue being supportive as best as they can!

Comment

Tough decision

There are so many things I don't like about MS. I haven't even had my diagnosis for a year so maybe I will be more philosophical about it later on. I think right now the fatigue is the worst part. I developed insomnia in January '08 and I have just recently started sleeping again. Even after a good night's sleep I feel exhausted.
          To pawpaw- I can't believe anyone would tell you to lose a few pounds to have more energy. That is so rude and unhelpful.

Comment

the legs have it!

For me the worst is my dumb legs. Even when they work well (which is a relative of course), I can trip over a shadow on the carpet!!

Comment

What would I get rid of?

It would have to be the left leg that shuts down at the strangest times and has to be dragged around like a very heavy suitcase - the old fashioned type without the wheels! How do other MSers cope with this problem?

Comment

does this count?

wow--i'm really glad i don't have leg problems (yet!). they sound awful!!! anyway, here is what came to my mind first: one, migraines. i have no idea if they are related to my ms and if they are, how, but they're painful and inconvenient, and nothing i do seems to help and right now i have the 9th one in the last 22 days. the second immediate thought was that i can deal with my dizziness and shitty memory, but i hate having to stick needles in my legs. so i would kill the drugs if i could (dave, don't say anything).
                Sarah Cady

Comment

allowing MS to control my body

What I dislike most about this disease is how I let it control my body. Eight years ago I was hit hard from out of the blue - couldn't walk or see. Last year I photographed the Galapagos and Ecuador. It's been a long journey. But well worth it. I appreciate everything I have learned from this disease.

This month I went back to riding horses - was a professional for years way back when. Each day has to managed with care but I'm getting a routine down. I have kayaked, mt biked, snowed everything, rock climbed for years. But now it's back to the basics for me - horses. And it's working. I'm up to riding four a day. the body is holding out!

Comment

Fatigue!!

For me it would also be the fatigue. As many have said - no one who hasn't experienced fatigue can understand that you can't just push through it, will your way through it, get enough sleep or rest to 'cure' it nor any other ignorant suggestion like 'losing weight'. Although it can be really annoying and frustration (and since my emotional state seems much more fragile then ever before due to MS - can trigger tears!) I tell myself they have no idea and probably don't understand how their 'helpful suggestions' come across.
                    I can deal with all the other crap - pain meds take care of the pain & migraines and I can handle being down and out for a day or two with the myriad of other issues that can strike me down; I can even deal with being stuck in the middle of a parking lot on an icy day when my legs become frozen stiff and I literally can't move! The fatigue is the only thing I can't stand. Once it sets in - there is absolutely nothing I can do until it decides to let me go. I literally feel trapped in my body. My mind still 'feels' like I can do anything but then it all hits home when I can't gather the strength or lung capacity to walk the few steps to the bathroom to pee!! =( Ugh! Unfortunately, I find fatigue has become one of the most constant symptoms in the past two years. I'm hoping this isn't a 'trend' and I'll find my way back to more energy/strength again on a more regular basis.
                    Although, the second runner up would be the cold sweats & hot flashes. They are just plain gross and extremely uncomfortable. I suppose the positive side is I won't even know when I hit 'the change'! By then I'll have mastered the 'Hot Flash'.

Comment

hello,

with me it's the Fatique too. but closely followed by the lack of feeling in my legs or strange feeling there.

ow well.....
                      we'll just take it as it is

Comment

want to get rid of pain/tingling

My most irritating symptom that I would love to get rid of is my tail bone (area) pain and leg tingling/burning.

Comment

Working...
                        X