Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for staying active in the summer (for Momentum Magazine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for staying active in the summer (for Momentum Magazine)

I was recently contacted by a writer who is working on a piece for Momentum magazine (National MS Society) about staying active in the summer. As most of you know, I've got a bunch of tricks. What are some of your favorites? I don't want to forget any! You can post them here or e-mail me at dave@activemsers.org.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I can't imagine your writer friend has to look much further than this site and these forums. Most of the tricks I know are here. One trick that might not be here and that I get a lot of inspiration from is to read the blogs and tweets of the pro's in my sport. A lot of them are very good writers and highly inspiring people.

Comment

To start a list...

To help get things started, here is a list, all of which you are probably already aware of and have in mind but here goes:

- swim, join a masters swim club over the winter and then continue into the summer
      - water aerobics wearing a life vest type device (can put you in touch with an MSer who teaches such classes)
      - encase your legs in ice before going out - they are a store of coolness once you get outside
      - wear a cooling vest
      - high altitude hiking/walking (cooler temps)

Comment

Great suggestions, all, including the ones e-mailed to me, sent on Twitter, and posted on Facebook. I think I nailed all of them, but I did emphasize some of the tips based on all of your input. And I included a few not listed. Thanks everyone!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

One more thought...

Probably too late for your submission:

I am in the habit now of building up my conditioning during the cold winter months - to help see me through and get away with less conditioning during the hot summer months. Sort of like a camel's hump.

Comment

Was this the Momentum piece Dave? I open up the mailbox yesterday and lo-and-behold, none other than Mr. Everything-MS was front and center on the cover!
            http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/keep-moving-ms-2/

I thought this was a particularly good issue of Momentum and that they did a great job covering the heat management topic.

I have added a few new toys to my summer arsenal. I recently bought the Kool-Tie, the Cooling Towel and the battery powered spray bottle pictured below.

Water bottles with an inch or so frozen water in the bottom live in the freezer waiting to be topped off on my way out the door, as do the wrist sweat bands and the blue neck tie thingys.

I've been known to slip one of those frozen ice pack things for your cooler under my shirt in an emergency. So I pack one or two in my lunch in case it's sweltering when I get to my car after work.

Attached Files

...\O/...
            Liv__Well
            ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Working...
            X