Vitamin D Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D Question

I have been taking large doses of vitamin D on a somewhat regular basis. I have been finding the past few months that right after I take a dose that my anxiety/paranoia levels are off the charts for no apparent reason. It always seems to occur after the vitamin D. I did a little investigation on the internet and it seems to point to a link between the anxiety and low levels of magnesium which are brought on by the high vitamin D doses. I don’t know if any of it is true or holds merit so I wanted to get some thoughts. I have not taken any vitamin D the past few weeks and everything seems fine anxiety/paranoia wise. I don't want to stop taking vitamin D but cannot handle 50,000 IUs once a week.

Walker, I take 3-4K IUs a day and have not had issues. But you know what I'm going to say: this is more of a medical question for your doctor/neurologist, ideally one who specializes in MS. All of us regular Joes would be just guessing at your potential Vitamin D issues.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Thanks for responding Dave. I did ask my neurologist but he said he never heard of anything like what I described happening. He suggested similar to what you did - cut back from 50,000 IUs once a week to maybe 5,000 IUs a day and see how that works. I have not done it yet but will give it a try.

Comment

I've read that your skin makes 10,000-15,000 IUs in 15 minutes of sun exposure, and then shuts off production for the day. So taking 5 times that amount seems like you might be asking for trouble. I take 10,000 IUs daily, and found it actually regulated my mood.

Hope you have a less anxious day!

Comment

Working...
        X