Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: The risk of cancer in patients with MS is less than the general population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: The risk of cancer in patients with MS is less than the general population

Risk of cancer in multiple sclerosis (MS): A systematic review and meta-analysis

MahsaGhajarzadehaAidaMohammadibMohammad AliSahraianc

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autrev.2020.102650

Abstract

Objective: To assess the pooled risk of cancer in patients with multiple sclerosis.

Methods: We searched PubMed, Scopus, EMBASE, Web of Science, Ovid, google scholar and gray literature (references of studies, conference abstracts) which were published up to September 2019. The search strategy included the MeSH and text words as ((cancer) OR tumor) OR neoplasm) OR “malignant neoplasm) OR “benign neoplasm) AND (Multiple Sclerosis OR Sclerosis, Multiple) OR Sclerosis, Disseminated) OR Disseminated Sclerosis) OR MS (Multiple Sclerosis)) OR Multiple Sclerosis, Acute Fulminating).

Results: The first literature search revealed 18,996 articles. After deletion of duplicate articles, finally, 264 articles remained. Excluding non-relevant articles, resulted in including 5 articles which met inclusion criteria.

The RR estimated between 0.7 and 1.67 in included articles.

The pooled RR estimated as 0.83 (95% CI:0.73–0.96) (I2 = 90%, P < 0.001).

Three studies provided prevalence of different cancers.

The pooled prevalence of breast cancer in two studies was 2% (95%CI:2%–2%) (I2 = 0%).

The pooled prevalence of digestive system cancer in two studies was 2% (95%CI:1%–2%) (I2 = 0%).

The pooled prevalence of skin cancer in three studies was 1% (95%CI:0%–1%) (I2 = 0).

Conclusion: The result of this systematic review showed that the risk of cancer in patients with MS is less than the general population.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Wish that were the case. I got bowel cancer 15 years after my MS diagnosis. Lost most of my large intestines from it. Still enjoying life though!
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

Yikes! Researchers only said "less" than the general population. Glad you recovered! Do you use an ostomy bag?
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Hmm. In about 1976 I was diagnosed with MS which stayed pretty calm until 2005. I had to stop riding my motorcycle (1800 Goldwing) but can still be a passenger and now walk with trekking poles which is better than it could be. In 2018 I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a bone marrow cancer. As of today I wouldn't know I have it if Dr. had not told me and for the treatments that I will have to have at least every month or more for the rest of my life. It probably won't end my life, but I will always have MM. I'm grateful. As of today, at 73 years old, I can lead a reasonably good life.

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
          Yikes! Researchers only said "less" than the general population. Glad you recovered! Do you use an ostomy bag?
          Yes indeed I do. 5 years now with one. Took a week or so to get good at changing my skin barrier, but am a pro now! I've had zero problems having a colostomy, and am fortunate to only have to change it every 5 days. This saves a fortune over people who need to change it daily.
          Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
          Active in amateur radio
          M.S. since 2000

Comment

Originally posted by knitnride View Post
            Hmm. In about 1976 I was diagnosed with MS which stayed pretty calm until 2005. I had to stop riding my motorcycle (1800 Goldwing) but can still be a passenger and now walk with trekking poles which is better than it could be. In 2018 I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a bone marrow cancer. As of today I wouldn't know I have it if Dr. had not told me and for the treatments that I will have to have at least every month or more for the rest of my life. It probably won't end my life, but I will always have MM. I'm grateful. As of today, at 73 years old, I can lead a reasonably good life.
            I sold my 1800 Gold Wing, and my gyrocopter, after my diagnosis. I had to ground myself, as flying was not possible with my vertigo from the M.S. I am currently shopping for another bike though, I really miss riding, and 90% of my church are bikers!
            Active in amateur radio
            M.S. since 2000

Comment

GH, I have lots of ostomites as friends. Motorcycles look cool, but while I'm always up for adventure, my preference falls to the self-powered variety. Although since my new trike will have an electric assist, I guess I'm straddling the fence!
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
              X