Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquito Avoidance by the Immune Suppressed

Ugh, scientists recently put out a reminder to protect against
    mosquito borne illnesses like Zika, West Nile, and Dengue, stating such infections may increase chance of stroke. linkhttps://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200918104235.htm

I liked the color coded CDC US Map of West Nile showing current outbreak of cases. (You need to click boxes in top menu to select view) https://wwwn.cdc.gov/arbonet/Maps/AD...Map/index.html

But truthfully, I really didn't need a map to know that my Houston area is rife with mosquitoes. I just went outside. . And Public Health authorities must be concerned too because I noticed neighborhoods, not just sporting fields and parks, are being sprayed by trucks a lot.

What's scientist advice for the immune compromised? "Mosquito bite avoidance" to prevent disease transmission. And DEET is the recommended repellent (which is considered safe by scientists). Handbook of Systemic Autoimmune Diseases. 2020; 16: 109–142, The immunosuppressed traveler: infection risks with autoimmunity and immunosuppression, vaccinations, and general travel advice, Published online 2020 Mar 7 at 7.1. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-64217-2.00006-3

I don't like to apply DEET to my body or clothes, but I now reluctantly carry a small travel size of mosquito repellent with me and apply at first notice of the buggers.

Stay well friends. Be safe.

You could try the Sawyer products that use Picaridin instead of DEET. We've had good results with it and pick it up on Amazon--sometimes it even goes on sale. Not as gummy as DEET products and it doesn't destroy your clothes and gear. Comes in aerosol and pump spray versions, including ones small enough to stick in your pocket and get through TSA (for when we're flying again.) We also use the bug-repellent clothes that Rohan and Duluth Trading offer. Pricey, but they hold up well and keep the bugs away.

Comment

I use full sleeve clothes and on the uncovered body areas, I use mosquito repellent to avoid mosquito bites.

Comment

Working...
      X