I skied the Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I skied the Rockies

Hi! I don't post much but lurk often. I wanted to post something positive. I skied for four days in Alberta's Rockies - Lake Louise and Sunshine, to be exact. It wasn't as easy as it used to be. I had to stop mid-run a few times on long runs. I rested about three 20-25 minute periods over 7/8 hours of skiing. I also did not do runs as difficult as usual. But I did it! My biggest hurdle was my head. Knowing I'm not as strong with intermittent weakness made me fearful to really go as fast or as hard as I used to. But I did it! My trip also marked a milestone - the first time I've ever admitted my MS to someone outside my immediate family. I took a private lesson with a ski instructor versed in adaptive skiing. She was very helpful and offered many tips.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm knackered! Tired, tired, tired. I'm also a little wobblier since returning home. Also, my knees are swollen and sore. I suspect that is because of poor form due to my new lack of confidence in maintaining control. I never had sore knees before.

I was very nervous about this trip. I'm so glad I did it! I've been skiing for years. Hubby and I skied a lot in our 20s and then stopped for about 17 years (kids and all that) and took it back up about 4 years ago when daughter showed an interest.

VERY COOL!!! You rock big time Pistachio! Huge kudos to you for overcoming your apprehensions about going. The biggest obstacle is usually all the head chatter before we're even out the door. The exertion didn't kill you, you had a blast and you're over the moon proud of yourself! You're an inspiration. Enjoy the rest. You certainly earned it!

Keep on moving!

...\O/...
    Liv__Well
    ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

That sounds awesome . Congratulations

Comment

Hot Diggity Dawg, Pistachio!! That is just so great.... I bet you are still grinning, sore knees and all.... Yeah, the Head Talk does a number on us, doesn't it?? Sounds like you found a way to shut it up. Good for you!! Bask in your Glory as long as you can.... You've earned it indeed! Also so happy that you found a ski instructor knowledgable in adaptive skiing.
        Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Fantastic Pistachio and thanks for sharing, sore knees and all!

Larry

Comment

Awesome! You did it!
            Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

That’s fantastic!

Comment

I also skied a lot with my partner at the age of 22-23 but after that life became too busy and we didn't get time for it. Your post now boost me up and we will surely make a plan for it

Comment

Very awesome. I love that you had a knowledgeable instructor. Most people are understandably nervous about returning to skiing later in life even if they don't have a physical condition. Good for you to take the leap. I confess, even though I originally come from Vermont in the US I have only been alpine skiing twice in my life. Glad you had fun

Comment

Working...
                  X