Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: What is the risk of me passing MS onto my children? What preventative steps should they take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: What is the risk of me passing MS onto my children? What preventative steps should they take?

I just got this Q from a member. -D

Do you have children? If so, do they ask you if they're at high risk for having to deal with MS at some point in the future? Mine are all adults now.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Thanks for writing. No kids. But I've gotten this question often. The risk is low, but there is a slight genetic component—about a 2-3% chance of your children getting the disease (MS is typically diagnosed between the ages 20-50).

Getting MS is largely the luck of the draw. But there may be ways to lower the risk, at least a little. Some have suggested: avoid getting mono, take vitamin D, get sunlight, don't smoke, exercise, and watch your weight. That's also some just general good advice.

Other members probably have other thoughts....
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Here's another article with some more insight....

https://www.healthcentral.com/slides...khzS7x2Tv0B7Ns
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Thanks, Dave. This is a big fear of mine.

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting this Dave, this is an important issue for many. My mom died of progressive MS and so my own diagnosis and progression was/is especially traumatic to everyone who knew my mom. I have two teens and have had to come to terms with this idea of what ifs should not take up any mental space. I know easy to say, and I will admit that many a pediatrician appointment I brought up ways to prevent immune disorders from developing. The current understanding, I believe, is that one can have a predisposition to developing MS but a trigger is often involved (virus, infection, stress, environmental factors). Thus everything Dave mentioned about healthy lifestyle and nutrition is key to staying healthy. With regard to inheritance, because of the human genome project, I think there are at least 70 genes mapped associated with development of MS. They isolated these genes from families with multiple generations of MS, but it is in no way exclusive. So it is really of little use to most MSers. I think in the future, hopefully near, they might use genetic sequencing to determine which DMD will work best for one's particular MS variant. I understand they are also working on an EBV vaccine to prevent EBV, which some have linked to triggering MS. (Interestingly, I had mono before what appear to be my first symptoms of MS) So, in the end, I Lecture my kids on eating right, taking their vitamins, keeping fit, good sleep habits, and managing stress. I've gone so far to tell them that I believe the rigors of graduate school and my poor sleep patterns triggered my MS and they must prioritize their own health over their various pursuits. So my advice to any MSers with kids is to do the parent thing and nag about healthy habits, and try try try not to worry about an unknown future threat.

Comment

I'm a little scared- 2 sons. The mono thing is interesting. I had it as a teen and the doc said it was the worst he'd ever seen. I swear I've been tired since

Comment

Originally posted by Drillerdou View Post
              I'm a little scared- 2 sons. The mono thing is interesting. I had it as a teen and the doc said it was the worst he'd ever seen. I swear I've been tired since

I also had a severe case of Mono as a teen. I missed a month of school it was so bad. It does make one wonder. Also, my CIS of ON happened during a very stressful time. It's interesting to read of this being commonplace amongst many who later go on to be diagnosed with MS.

Comment

It does raise lots of questions in my mind. I've wasted many hours thinking about what may have caused this (it's occurred to me that ms may have multiple causes). But I have to catch myself b4 I go down that rabbit hole, we need to focus on living our best life now!

Comment

Originally posted by Drillerdou View Post
                  It does raise lots of questions in my mind. I've wasted many hours thinking about what may have caused this (it's occurred to me that ms may have multiple causes). But I have to catch myself b4 I go down that rabbit hole, we need to focus on living our best life now!
                  Very true! I once read a list of environmental triggers and previous exposures that are mitigating factors to contributing to MS. I realized I did actually have some. I was exposed to second-hand smoke my entire childhood. My parents were both pack a day smokers. This is supposedly a big deal with regard to getting MS. Then of course there are the specific genes involved. My point is that we can go round and round and cast blame but in the end we can't go back and change what's done.

Comment

Working...
                  X