Ampyra & Mirror Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampyra & Mirror Therapy

Anyone have any experience with either Ampyra and/or mirror therapy for help with their walking? Curious because my neuro just prescribed Ampyra for me and is trying to find somone local that I can go to for mirror therapy.

thanks,
    AZgal

I've been on Ampyra for 1.5 years. I was initially in a clinical trial. I am faster in my walking although no speeding tickets yet. I also find I have decreased spasticity. I also think it helps with the neuroplasticity of the brain in that repetitive movements help with waking up old pathways. There is a study ongoing at present looking at this. I have had absolutely no side effects. It is important, however, to take it every 12 hours and not earlier to avoid any risk of seizures. As for mirror therapy, I've only read about it. You're lucky to have such a progressive thinking neurologist. I also use a lot of visualization to help with my walking. Why not join us in the walking thread where some of us are chronicling our walking and sharing our strategies.

Take good care,

Teena Marie

Comment

Hey AZ, I tried Ampyra several years ago. I was on it for about 6 weeks before that severe mind numbing fatigue, which I hadn't experienced in the 6 or 8 previous years and which I associate with exacerbations, returned. I stopped he Ampyra immediately and the fatigue subsided within about 3 days. During the 6 weeks I was on the Ampyra I was given the timed walking test a couple of times. I never showed any improvement. But, while my experience wasn't particularly good, I know many other MSer's who swear by it.

It's a potassium channel blocker. If you've got leaky potassium channels, it may well help you.

Good luck,

Comment

Working...
      X