What's the right mobility device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the right mobility device?

In the last couple of years (more in the last year) I have experienced more difficulty with pain and fatigue, and when I do too much my legs decide to stop working all that well, and get very stiff and my balance goes off and I find I need to sit. "Too much" is variable and seems not to be fully predictable. Walking is fine for me until I hit a wall and it's not fine. I'm getting more and more frustrated with not being able to go out for walks, and I'm exercising as much as I can indoors with my elliptical machine (working up to HIIT) and yoga. I'm also nervous when I go back to working in person that I'm going to need something to make it through the walking requirements in my day (which aren't huge, but are there).

I'm wondering what mobility devices people have found helpful if they've had an experience like this. I want to be able to go out for walks in areas that aren't paved, if possible, but just longer than 15 minute walks on the sidewalk would be nice...any insight or experience is appreciated!

I also just wanted to thank Dave for this site! I've lurked for a few years, and admittedly haven't done enough to get fit. All the info here is amazing and it's given me a roadmap to do whatever I can to improve my fitness. It always feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back, but I'm continuing to try anyway. Thank you for the inspiration.
    Last edited by canada2003; 05-13-2021, 10:58 AM.

From Canada, eh? Thanks so much for pulling the lurk trigger and making a post! My thoughts? A pair of forearm crutches. You'll be able to walk waaay farther. You can go off road. Your confidence will soar. They will change your life. Promise.

I review them here: https://www.activemsers.org/forearm-crutches-guide
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Oh, and forearm crutches are also called Canadian crutches. So clearly... it's a sign!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Thank you!! It definitely is a sign. I made an appointment with an OT yesterday, so hopefully my next post will be all happy stories of walks longer than around the block.

Comment

I like to go for hikes in the woods. Unfortunately about 40min is all I'm good for now and sometimes that includes sitting on a log for a break. I use 2 walking sticks that are about 4' long. I can and do put most of my weight on them by the time I'm coming back. I always think when people see me they must think I'm on a serious trek

Comment

Hey! I'm also from the land of hockey and Tim Horton's (though I am not a fan of either - how unCanadian of me!). From which part of Canada do you hail? I'm in SW Ontario.

Always good to meet another Canuck. It always strikes me as odd how few Canadians I've seen on MS forums considering we have the highest, per capita, MS prevelance in the world.

Anyway, glad to meet you, yet not glad to meet you, if you get what I mean.

Comment

Working...
            X