• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Drinking Alcohol Tied to ‘Significantly’ Higher MS Risk

Never Drinking Alcohol Tied to ‘Significantly’ Higher MS Risk

by Marisa Wexler MS | November 2, 2021
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE:

SHARE ARTICLE VIA EMAILCOPY ARTICLE LINK

Not drinking alcohol significantly increases the risk of developing multiple sclerosis (MS), especially if a person also is a current or former smoker, according to a new study.

These findings add to the knowledge, discovered in multiple previous studies, that alcohol decreases the activity of the immune system. According to the researchers, this may account for the known connection between alcohol consumption and reduced MS risk — given that MS is characterized by an overactive immune system.

While these new data “are relevant for clinical practice and give no support for advising healthy individuals with MS heredity, or individuals with MS, to completely refrain from alcohol,” they also don’t support increasing alcohol consumption, the researchers said.

“Consumption of alcohol has detrimental effects on other disease conditions, and better understanding of the mechanisms behind our findings may help to define ways to achieve protection against MS by other means than alcohol consumption,” they wrote.

FULL ARTICLE:
    https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...igher-ms-risk/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I'll raise a glass to that!

Comment

That is very interesting. I don't drink, and was a cigar smoker for years before my diagnosis 21 years ago. Makes sense though.
      Yes, I stopped smoking after I lost most of my bowel to cancer, but I still can't bring myself to use alcohol.
      Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
      Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
      Active in amateur radio
      Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
      M.S. since 2000

Comment

Working...
      X