4th shot for immune compromised!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th shot for immune compromised!

CDC advises 4th Covid shot for immune compromised. ( In my personal experience, none of my numerous healthcare providers have explained or instructed me to get 4th, and i have found cdc guidance on boosters and “third shots” confusing, to say the least). 2 days ago, CNN reported some pharmacies are refusing to give CDC 4th Covid shots to immune compromised, despite CDC guidance. It appears that the CDC’s use of the term “additional primary shot” for immune compromised instead of the phrase “third shot” has lead to the confusion. If you are seeking a 4th shot and need to convince the pharmacy, print out The CDC guidance and highlight CDC guidance “If you are eligible for an additional primary shot, you should get this dose first before you get a booster shot.” Uggh, immune compromised forgotten again. We can only make informed decisions about our health if we’re adequately informed! Stay well and self advocate!
    The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention plans to send a clear message to pharmacies on a conference call this week: Stop turning away immune-compromised people when they come seeking fourth doses of Covid-19 vaccines.

Link to cdc guidance for immune compromised to get 3rd shot (additional primary shot) before getting booster (4th shot).
    Moderately or severely immunocompromised people should receive a third dose of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at least 4 weeks after a second dose.

Comment

I'm sure recommendations are different up here in Canada but last week I received my 3rd dose. The nurse told me it was a 1/2 dose based on the med I'm on- tysabri. Apparently if I was taking different meds they might have given me a full dose.

Comment

Drillerdou, interesting that nurse said your 3rd shot was 1/2 dose. I don’t know if that’s the same for all immune compromised 3rd shots, regardless of country it is received in. Your post made me curious, though, and I found ministry of health/ Ontario’s guidance for Covid vaccines for immune compromised, as of Jan 2022. It calls the third shot for immune compromised to be considered part of the primary series, and that a booster (a fourth) should be given after 90 days. Compare this with CDC rules, which say booster (4th for immune compromised) should be given 5 mos after primary series. idk rationale for the 2 mos difference. At least the Canadian gov’t appears to have stated it more cogently than the cdc. I’m curious if your fellow MS countrymen and women are finding it easier to get booster (4th shot)....... let’s hope. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/p...mendations.pdf
        Last edited by Suebee; 01-30-2022, 10:37 PM. Reason: Link redirects to main site

Comment

Well.... That's more info than I received from my doc's. I'm going to have to look into that, thankyou. When I told the nurse what I was on she checked her list and said tysabri wasn't on it. I believe if I was on ocrevus or similar I would have received a full dose. I did have a small reaction- every muscle and joint ached terribly for about 24 hours. A reaction (in my head) is a good thing, the immune system is triggered. Thanks

Comment

I signed up for and got my “3rd immune compromised” shot at end of dec. My CDC vaccine card was filled out by nurse but doesn’t list it as a 3rd shot or booster anywhere and nurse wasn’t able to tell me how 3rd shot was different than booster. I had violent shivers at about 12- 24 hrs post, and needed to rest in bed with fatigue, aches and head ache for 3 days. I had little to no reaction to first 2 Covid shots so I too took a reaction as great sign. Unfortunately, three weeks later, a blood quantative test showed I had zero antibodies. . Same happened with first two. (I got antibody tests through a study I enrolled in my state funded with federal Covid funds. It doesn’t tell me if I got a T cell response. I understand Even if on anticd20 dmt, a beneficial T cell is possible from vaccination. Let’s hope our T cells can rally and be protective against severe Covid!!!!!)
            Last edited by Suebee; 02-03-2022, 11:44 AM. Reason: Clarified ambiguous word

Comment

Glad you're OK, I kind of feel like all we can do is try our hardest and hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
              X