Monkeypox & MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkeypox & MS

MS Virtual Friends, I am doing my best to not let fear of viruses prevent me from enjoying life, but I also think we are very much on are own to understand the risks and to properly protect oneself. ( Past two years as an example. . ) After 70 cases of Monkeypox have been confirmed in UK, My favorite UK neurologist, Prof G., Offers this well informed pertinent info:

“the advice for pwMS with MS on immunosuppression is to remain vigilant, maintain your personal hygiene and avoid unnecessary contact with people in large gatherings. I suspect we will get more information from the [UK Health Services] and the WHO as necessary”. With re to pwms on most immunosuppressive DMTs, Prof G. Says they will probably not be able to get the smallpox vaccine, Imvanex, because it is a live modified form vaccine, which are generally contraindicated in people on immunosuppressive therapies. ( Note, in US, born bf 1971, you may have got smallpox vaccine as a child).
    Prof G. Also Offers some reassuring advice re this outbreak:
    “[M]onkeypox” is not as rapidly transmissible as SARS-CoV-2. Poxviruses do not mutate as quickly as influenza or coronaviruses. Therefore it is unlikely to become more infectious and dangerous suddenly. We also know how to deal with it, and therefore I suspect the current epidemic will be short-lived. If you suspect that you might have a rash or lesions on any part of your body, particularly if you have recently had a new sexual partner, please limit contact with others” and contact your health clinic.
    Link to Prof. G Blog
    Stay well, Suebee
    As of the 23rd of May, the UK Health Security Agency has detected 70 cases of monkeypox in England, and Public Health Scotland has identified one case in Scotland. What does this mean for pwMS?

Heads up, pwms / masks. Focusing on scientific understanding, despite CDC confusing flip flop messaging about need to mask for monkeypox, the NYT reports today, “As the monkeypox outbreak continues, many patients are isolating at home because their symptoms are mild. Members of those households may need to take the possibility of airborne transmission into consideration, experts said.” Read: possibility of airborne transmission.
    link to article:
    An abrupt change in C.D.C. guidance underscores a little-known phenomenon: On occasion, monkeypox can be transmitted through aerosols, similar to the coronavirus.

Comment

Yesterday, June 9th, After announcing there are several suspected cases in Hawaii, its Dept.of Health went further than CDC to explain to public that Monkeypox can indeed be spread by prolonged face to face contact from respiration, and “ anyone who has been in close contact with someone with monkeypox is at higher risk of infection, regardless of a person’s gender, sexual orientation, or travel history.” heads up
      Press releases from the Hawaii Department of Health Communications Office.

Comment

Working...
      X