Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers k-12 & MS

Hi,
    Are any of you ActiveMSers public school teachers? I recently needed to disclose to my principal.
    I teach theatre at large inner city high school. My contract is .5; but because of building & class scheduling needs, I now have 4 preps as well as run the after school theatre program.
    l've been taking Gilenya for about 7months; and now my white count has dropped so low, that my neurologist is taking me off of it for a month. Fatigue has always been a significant issue for me, and has become worse. My neurologist has written a letter to reduce my after school duties (which are the best part of my job, but not important to the district).
    As I, hopefully recover my energy; I'm not sure what accommodations to ask for to reduce the work load of the courses to a reasonable level. Has anyone experienced a similar dilemma? Does anyone have any advice or ideas you can share?
    Thanks! Kathy

Teachers k-12 with ms

Kathy,
    I work at a public elementary school outside of Washington, D.C. I was able to work for years after my diagnosis with MS, but then the fatigue and mobility issues caught up with me. I spoke with my admin as to what accommodations could be provided, and was referred to HR which opened an entire disability file. Come into the discussion knowing what you need to cut out of your schedule. I found my principle was wanting to be very accommodating, but certain rules are set in place by the school district. Most people do not understand MS issues. I had people telling me to use a wheelchair to get to the playground , and just let the kindergarteners get there on their own at wait for me!
    I ended up having to go part time since they were not able to accommodate my issues for a classroom setting ( playground, field trips).
    In doing so I lost my accrued sick leave, and benefits.
    Since yours is a more temporary situation, I would think they could find some fellow teachers to help out. Good luck, and sorry that I didn't have more specific advice.
    Lydia

Comment

Working...
    X